Any possibility to upgrade the integrated GPU? - Acer Aspire - V3-571-73638G75Makk

C64
C64 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
Hi there, 

I'm just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the GPU on this unit?  -  Acer Aspire - V3-571 (Full model number - V3-571-73638G75Makk). 

If not, is there any way to connect a GPU externally? If so, which port would I use? 

I've already upgraded the Ram on this unit to 16mb and installed a 2TB SSD drive. So I'm looking to see how far I can take it for video editing. 

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Kindest regards, 
Nick 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>My CD drive is redundant these days. Are you aware of any sort of caddy I could replace it with so I can create another USB port? >>>

More practical create another usb port with a hub splitter than a CD bay.  Also more practical to create an m.2 socket with a usb-2-m2 converter. You just have to make sure the eGPU is designed to work on both wifi and SSD sockets.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    The integrated GPU is pretty much the same in all the Intel dual and quad core CPUs that are compatible with this machine's mainboard. It'd be possible to install an eGPU using the wifi m.2 port. But you'd of course lose wifi and the external wires would be rather clumsy.

A perhaps more practical solution is to replace the mainboard with the 571G mainboard with the discrete nvdia GPU which allows for higher vGA resolution and refresh rates, They're available for less than about $60usd from Aliexpress (a fairly reliable concessionaire like Amazon) and would use your existing intel CPU/GPU . Delivery takes about 4 weeks if it not stocked in one of its US warehouses.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @C64,

No, you can not upgrade the graphics card in this model.
  • C64
    Thanks for the advice. 

Do you know if the Acer Aspire - V3-571 (Full model number - V3-571-73638G75Makk) has a spare m.2 port at all? 

Many thanks, 
    Nick
  • JackE
    Sorry no m.2 socket. Just in case you missed the earlier post, you do have options with an eGPU or the inexpensive discrete GPU mainboard

Jack E/NJ

• C64
    Ok. Thanks.

I think I'm happy to sacrafice the m.2 port so I can use the external graphics card. 

I'll invest in a USB wifi adaptor for internet access. 

My CD drive is redundant these days. Are you aware of any sort of caddy I could replace it with so I can create another USB port? 
    This way I could ask someone to thread the m.2 cable to the new caddy to create a new USB port. 

This way I don't have any messy cables and can just plug and play the external graphics card when needed. 

Let me know if you know of any products. 

Many thanks, 

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>My CD drive is redundant these days. Are you aware of any sort of caddy I could replace it with so I can create another USB port? >>>

More practical create another usb port with a hub splitter than a CD bay.  Also more practical to create an m.2 socket with a usb-2-m2 converter. You just have to make sure the eGPU is designed to work on both wifi and SSD sockets.

Jack E/NJ

• C64
    This is great. Thanks!