Travelmate P215-53 Will not turn on but has power.

WelshDai
WelshDai Member Posts: 3 New User
I have an issue with my travelmate which is only 6 months old.

It was working fine until I turned it on this morning. When pressing the power button the keyboard does light up but the screen remains black, the acer logo does not appear at all. After roughly 20 seconds the fan seems to spin at 100% and becomes very loud, it will stay like this until the laptop is turned off by holding the power button. The battery seems to charge fine as I have left it on until the battery was drained and then plugged in the charger, it then turned on again. I have tried the battery reset on the bottom of the laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @WelshDai
    Turn off the power and unplug the charger. Check the back of the unit where you can find a battery reset pin hole. So press and hold a paper clip in that pin hole for 30 seconds and than check.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • WelshDai
    @Jack22

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this but it did not fix the issue unfortunately.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @WelshDai,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • WelshDai
    Unfortunately nothing happens when holding F2 and turning on the laptop. The screen remains black and the fan spins but that is as far as it goes. The acer splash screen does not appear when powered on so I can not access the bios or boot menus.

After speaking to my wife, it seems like the laptop attempted to install the Windows 11 update the night before. The laptop turned off during the update and never turned back on. I then powered it on the next morning to find it in the current state. I can only presume that the update failed and caused some issue with the bios.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Something is likely corrupted now, probably as you suggest in the EFI portion of the BIOS. Best is going to be to contact Acer support and get a ticket going for a repair since it doesn't get far enough into POST to boot into diagnostics. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.