Predator Helios 300 Detecting Stereo Headset as Mono Only.

OverpricedCrayon
OverpricedCrayon Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2021 in Predator Laptops
A few weeks ago I got a new Predator Helios 300 (PH315-54) laptop running W10 Home, but I've run into an annoying problem I can't find a fix for and I feel i've exhausted all options. I use a Sony Playstation Wireless Gold Stereo Headset on both the Playstation 4 and PC and its marketed as being compatible with both.

The headset comes with a USB wireless adapter/receiver and I've never had issues with it on my desktop PC running Windows 10 and it works perfectly fine with the PS4. But with the laptop for some reason Windows only detects it as a mono speaker headset. The mic works but sound will only play out of the left earphone. It also comes with a 3.5mm detachable cable and the headset will work with stereo sound and the mic using that cable, but it defeats the purpose of the headset being wireless in the first place. So its less than ideal. To try and cover all bases I tested out a different wired USB headset I have and it works perfectly fine with the H300.

I've updated and reinstalled drivers trying to figure out if its a software issue but that didn't help.

Going into the properties for the headset in Windows I see that under the configuration for the device Windows thinks its a mono headset. If I select "Stereo" anyways and play a test I get an error.

If I ignore the error and select Next I then get another error telling me the format is not supported by the device.Which is ridiculous because its obviously a stereo headset and isn't broken.

If I go into the properties I can see that there's no balance adjustment for the headset, only volume. Normally there should be a L and R balance slider.

Someone else mentioned having this same issue with a different headset, a Hyperx Cloud Flight headset, on the same laptop. They were suspecting the wireless or Bluetooth receiver on the motherboard doesn't support wireless stereo sound as a battery saving measure, but I'm not so sure. I couldn't find any specifics on whats on the motherboard in this computer.

My guess is this is a weird Windows issue or a limitation of the laptop hardware. Any ideas on what I could do or if this theory about the motherboard on the laptop not supporting this type of wireless audio devices?