CPU stucked at 0,40 GHz | Acer Aprire 5 A515-42-R2J2

Options
cas_vis95
cas_vis95 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I just bought this great laptop, it is an Acer Aprire 5 A515-42-R2J2 and I noticed a very annoying issue.
The issue happens only when the battery is under 30%, after a long time that the PC is turned off and if I turn it on while the charger is not plugged in.
Starting from the ACER logo screen I can see that it is very slow to boot, once I logged into W10 and I check the CPU speed I can see that it is stucked at 400Mhz; with this CPU frequency the PC is totally useless.
This issue disappears after 5/10 mins OR when I plug in the charger.

I already updated every single driver and BIOS at the first boot, Windows Update did everything automaticlaly.
I it not a problem about the W10's power manager, actually I have tried every single setting but none helped me and I have no issues about the fan or overheating problems.
I think that this issue is caused by a BIOS bug, what do u think? How could I report ths issue to ACER?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    When battery charge level drops below about 50%, charging it takes precedent over CPU & GPU power demands so their frequency drops. So for maximum time under high power demand, battery charge level should be near 100% charged and charger plugged BEFORE starting any high power demand apps and games.  

Jack E/NJ

• cas_vis95
    edited October 2021
    Options
    JackE said:
    When battery charge level drops below about 50%, charging it takes precedent over CPU & GPU power demands so their frequency drops. So for maximum time under high power demand, battery charge level should be near 100% charged and charger plugged BEFORE starting any high power demand apps and games.  
    I just turn on the PC lol no high power demand, when i turn it on and the battery is under 30% the CPU is stucked at 400MHz. So, no app, no gaming, etc.
    After 10 mins the CPU clock turns back to its high speed.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>i turn it on and the battery is under 30% the CPU is stucked at 400MHz.>>>

Yes, that is normal. Battery must be above about the 50% charge level. When charge level reaches above about 50%, then CPU will run at higher frequency.

Jack E/NJ

• cas_vis95
    edited October 2021
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>i turn it on and the battery is under 30% the CPU is stucked at 400MHz.>>>

Yes, that is normal. Battery must be above about the 50% charge level. When charge level reaches above about 50%, then CPU will run at higher frequency.

Is it normal having my CPU stucked at 400MHz for 5/10 mins?
    With that frequency I'm not even able to open the start menu.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes if battery is below 50% and charger plugged in. No if battery is between about 10-50% and charger unplugged

Jack E/NJ

• cas_vis95
    Options
    JackE said:
    Yes if battery is below 50% and charger plugged in. No if battery is between about 10-50% and charger unplugged
    Maybe it is the opposite, it is normal if the battery is under 50% and the charger is unplugged. 
  • JackE
    Options
    YES!!!! Your laptop is normal If the battery is between 10-50% and charger UNplugged. Then the CPU frequency goes up.

AND YES!!! Your laptop is also normal if the battery is between 10-50% and charger plugged in.  Then the CPU frequency goes down.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.