How to install Debian 10 on Acer aspire 3 A317-53 (11th Gen Intel Core, bios version 1.16)

ahiles
ahiles Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello. I tried to install Debian 10 on   Acer aspire 3 A317-53 (11th Gen Intel Core, bios version 1.16), but at the stage of selecting a hard drive, the installer did not find it. Also in BIOS I did not find a control point for SATA modes (in hidden mode, you can only disable interfaces). What to do?

​//Edited the content to hide serial number.

Best Answer

• ahiles

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    The problem is solved. need a distribution with a 5.10 kernel.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hello!!

@ahiles,  

In order to load a different OS in to the machine, you to change the Boot Mode from UEFI to Legacy. 

From the images shared, I see that Secure Boot is Disabled. However, the Boot Mode is still at UEFI. Try changing it to Legacy and you may see the HDD paths for loading different OS. 

Hope this helps!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• ahiles

Tinkerer

If everything were so simple, I would have already changed it to Legacy. But the "Boot mode" menu does not change.
  • ahiles

Tinkerer

No choice but UEFI
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @ahiles

I have a different laptop (A515-46-R14k), but it has Insyde BIOS too. I succeeded by adding a 2.5" SATA3 SSD with Manjaro Linux on it and bootup with the UEFI without issue, with a 100MB UEFI partition separately ( from the original NVMe SSD) on this 2.5" SSD. Bootloader of Linux written on this separate UEFI partition, not on the main UEFI of the Windows OS.

Could not change the Secure Boot option, just used the default. However, you may need to set a supervisor password for the BIOS 
    to use for Linux.

Your hardware setup may be different, but hope this can help you. 

• ahiles

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    The problem is solved. need a distribution with a 5.10 kernel.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @ahiles

Thank you for reporting back. 

Some people just disappear when the issue is solved.