Swift SF313-52G - Which Dock Should I Get?

grosstraktor
grosstraktor Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello! I'm in the market for a Thunderbolt docking station for my Swift (i7-1065g7, MX350, Windows 10). I'm planning to get a Huawei Mateview 4K+ monitor, and I'd like to have a single-plug solution for the display, charging and peripherals like mouse, keyboard and speakers, so nothing really too taxing. I tried getting a second-hand Dell TB16 and the results were very underwhelming, with the dock failing to work properly every other time I tried hooking it up. My USB mouse would work each time, but the external display (still using my trusty old 4:3 1600*1200 Samsung VGA panel for now) wouldn't be working and the laptop wouldn't charge (despite the 240W brick that powers the dock).
Sometimes, everything worked as intended, but no matter how much driver juggling was involved, I just couldn't get the setup to perform reliably, and I don't even know why it doesn't work when it doesn't. The Thunderbolt Control Center will still display the TB16 as connected even if nothing except USB is working, but the external display won't show up in the device manager. Sure, my dock might just be a lemon, but I've since read a lot of bad stuff about this model and I'd like to get something with a better chance of succeeding next time.
My question is, has anyone had experience using a TB dock on a similar laptop with good results? If yes, what the dock's maker and model is? Living in Russia, I don't have the luxury of getting different units off Amazon or something and sending them back if they don't work as intended, so I'd like to splurge on one that was proved to be working well. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• grosstraktor
    Just for the record, my old dock works as intended every time I shut down the laptop and restart it with the dock connected, but once I disconnect, it's a gamble whether it's going to work again when I reconnect. Obviously, having to reboot every time I go back to my desk (I work from home so I often move around the house with the laptop) is not ideal. Are TB docks that have no issues with hot plugging even a thing?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Be aware your TBT is version 2, so a TBT 3 dock will not work at full capacity. Also, your TBT port doesn't support charging, to charge you need to use the charger port. So, if you want to support all the features you can, find a dock that provides a separate charging cable and generates it's own video. That should end up working fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • grosstraktor
    It says Thunderbolt 3 on the palmrest sticker. I suppose it could be so just to mess with me, but somehow I suspect it's not the case. Also no, it indeed does allow charging as it would charge just alright each time the TB16 connection decided to work. I also tried hooking some noname USB-C hub up back when picking the laptop up at the store, and it too charged the thing just fine.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Ah, my mistake. The SG says 20Gbps in one place, which implies TBT 2 and in another it says data only, but in a third spot it says:
    Thunderbolt Port
    • Up to 40Gbps Thunderbolt transmission
    • Support USB3.1 Gen 1/2 and Display port 1.4
    • System charging up to 15W
    • Needed additional flash memory
    So, TBT 3 and it should work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • grosstraktor
    Checked the user manual just to clear things up, and it says the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port takes 65W/20V to charge the laptop, can deliver 5V/3A and allows 40Gbps data transmission.