Tell me exactly what to buy to connect my Acer Swift 3 SF315-51G to two external monitors

Options
aswift_alex
aswift_alex Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2021 in Swift and Spin Series

I have an Acer Swift 3 w/ MX150 graphics card (Swift SF315-51G). I bought a USB C to multiple HDMI adapter, but I've just found out it will not work because the Acer Swift 3's USB C port does not support video. I had no idea this was even a thing.

So I need something else. Please tell me exactly what I should buy. I want 3 independent screens, not mirrored. I currently have two independent screens (monitor and laptop with just HDMI connection), but I want to hook up my third monitor.

I also have a Macbook for work. I would also like to connect that Macbook to my 3 displays as well. For my Macbook, I currently use a mini display port to HDMI which works for two independent screens.

I want to support the third screen on both my windows laptop and Macbook. Is there a docking station or some external adapter that will work for both? Please provide specific links.

Answers

• aswift_alex
    edited October 2021
    Options
    0Will something like this work? Amazon.com: Dell USB 3.0 Ultra HD/4K Triple Display Docking Station (D3100), Black : Electronics

Anything cheaper available? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, that one should work. You just need a dock that generates it's own video instead of relying on the USB-C Alternate mode. Most gen 1 and many gen 2 USB-C ports do not support alt mode.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aswift_alex
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, that one should work. You just need a dock that generates it's own video instead of relying on the USB-C Alternate mode. Most gen 1 and many gen 2 USB-C ports do not support alt mode.
    Thanks for the response. Do you think that this: Amazon.com: USB to Dual HDMI Adapter, USB 3.0 Dual HDMI Adapter, USB Hub with 2 HDMI, USB Port, Dual Monitor Display Adapter Compatible with M1 MacBook Pro/Air, Surface Pro/Go, Chromebook, Thinkpad/Yoga, etc : Electronics

would also work? I ordered this one yesterday. It's about half the price as the Dell dock I linked earlier. Will performance be much better on the Dell USB 3.0? 

For reference, I am trying to hook up my laptop to these two monitors:
    • Sceptre IPS 24-Inch Business Computer Monitor 1080p 75Hz with HDMI VGA Build-in Speakers, Machine Black (E248W-FPT)

• BenQ MOBIUZ EX2510 24.5 Inch 144Hz IPS Gaming Monitor | HDRi | 1080P 1ms

Thanks for the help.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, that one look like it should work. Be sure to let us know how well when it arrives!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aswift_alex
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, that one look like it should work. Be sure to let us know how well when it arrives!

I appreciate the help. This arrived and unfortunately it's not working. I'm so confused. I am plugging it into the USB 3.0 port on my Acer Swift 3, and  INSTANTVIEW (D:) shows up on my laptop, and "SiliconMotion" pops up on my second screen, so I think that it's trying to do something? 

However, Windows is not able to detect the second display.

When I click the INSTANTVIEW (D:) icon that pops up, it seems to think it's a storage device? I am very confused.

Thank you for the help. 
  • aswift_alex
    Options
    0I think I'm going to try the Dell one instead. It seems the Kapok requires additional software that is needed to install in order to get it working. 
  • billsey
    Options
    My guess is the small storage section holds the drivers needed to get Windows to recognize the output. What's in the (D:) drive? When the dock is connected and you bring up Device Manager are there devices shown with issues?