Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S "System" Temperature

LulzChicken
LulzChicken Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Predator Laptops
In Predatorsense you can see that there is a "System" temperature. Acer, what is this temperature probe? I think it is highly inaccurate, a false reading, or there is a component regularly overheating while doing nothing but web browsing. There are other posts with this issue as well. I think we need to answer as to:

What is this "System" temperature reading? It's not the CPU, GPU, HD, RAM, etc. Is it the motherboard? WHAT is reading so hot while doing nothing? This seems to be a known defect. As you can see in the pic below all of my temps are great idling except for "System." So, what is it?

The temperature fluctuates wildly with doing nothing different but sitting idle. One second it will be 75, the next 85. Over the time period it took to type this it went from minimum of 65 degrees to 85 degrees...

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S Gaming Laptop | Intel i7-11800H | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU | 15.6" Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD | Killer WiFi 6 | RGB Keyboard

Answers

• LulzChicken
    LulzChicken Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited October 2021
    To add, my ambient temperature is 72 degrees F and I have a cooling pad. I have seen reviews of this laptop failing within a couple of weeks/months and if this "System" temp is a chip on the motherboard I would not be surprised if this is the culprit. I know the 75 degrees C in my pic isn't crazy, but compared to the other temps it definitely is. Not to mention the dramatic fluctuations and high of 85+ min of 65 while composing this post with no background tasks crunching anything.

This also causes the fans to run at a higher RPM than otherwise seemingly needed - all of the temps can be in the 40s, but System can be in the 80s+ so the fans kick on even if everything else is normal. I had a prior Helios 300 that did not have these problems. I hope a BIOS update can resolve these problems.
  • shatted
    shatted Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2021
    Just stumbled across your post. Did you happen to find any answers? I have the same model and the same issue. The latest BIOS (1.09 at the time of this writing) seems to have only made things worse, with the fans now spinning up inexplicably when the system is under little to no load. Overall, I've been very happy with the system, but this is frustrating.
  • Herminello1
    Herminello1 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi, i just made a post about the same issue. Seems to be happening a quite fair amount. But no one got an answer why it happens or how its fixed tho :/
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @LulzChicken,

Can you able to adjust the fan speed in predator sense. 
  • Kiragoa
    Kiragoa Member Posts: 4 New User
    I had the same issue. I think the solution is in the windows power option. Try switching back to Acer power plan and I think it would drop the system temp to 50 degrees Celsius like mine. 😊

• shatted
    shatted Member Posts: 3 New User
    Kiragoa said:
    I had the same issue. I think the solution is in the windows power option. Try switching back to Acer power plan and I think it would drop the system temp to 50 degrees Celsius like mine. 😊

This seems to have (maybe?) helped a bit, thanks! But I'm still curious as to what, exactly, the "System" temperature is actually a measurement of. Is it an individual sensor somewhere on the motherboard, or is it an aggregate of other temperatures? Does anyone know?
  • minecrafter5
    minecrafter5 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Same issue. Have been using acer power plan only. As for the system component, download HWMonitor and compare the temperatures, you'll know which one is System.
  • fabioshinichi
    fabioshinichi Member Posts: 1 New User

Weirdly enough I just got a PH315-54-70LH and the same thing happens plus I got blue screen with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in every game.

The temp thing shown in the Predator software was solved by changing the power plan to Acer (sometimes it is in a different one when I reboot) AND also disconnecting LAN cable (even in Acer power plan if I connect the cable it spikes to 80-90C....

Not sure if related, but scavenging the internet I found many "fixes" for the blue screen but none worked so far. Very disappointed with the reliability of this machine...