Processor Upgrade on ACER Aspire GX-785-EB13

brain_163
brain_163 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi Team,
                  Currently I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 64bit processor in my GX-785. It also has 32GB of RAM.   

1) Can I upgrade the processor to a later Intel i7 CPU?
2) If so, what is the maximum generation number of i7 processor that I can go up to?

Reason?  I wish to upgrade to Windows 11, but the 7th generation of i7 is not supported.  The 10th generation of i7 is the lowest supported.

I would appreciate any guidance from the Community.

Thanks,
Brian (brian@wormald-online.com)

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    1. Your motherboard supports up to i7-7700 and you may not be upgrade it further.
    2. I think you may be able to use and insider version of Windows 11 but without any driver support and feature support, if you don't mind it, I would suggest you backup your current Windows 10 installation using Macrium reflect free, create a bootable USB disk so that if you want to go  back to Windows 10 you can revert to Windows 10, make sure that you are familiar with recovering image using Macrium reflect.
    You can move to Insider Preview version of Windows11(if your system allows) and start using it.
    The other option is to stick to Windows10 until it's support runs out in 2025 and buy the new PC with Windows11.
    It's better to stay with a reliable OS like Win10 than using Win11 with unsupported CPU.
  • brain_163
    brain_163 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the info..............appreciated.   Strange that my processor is the most powerful supported.  Most PC's are not built like that - they use low to mid range gear.  The system is only 3 years old................
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    brain_163 said:
    Thanks for the info..............appreciated.   Strange that my processor is the most powerful supported.  Most PC's are not built like that - they use low to mid range gear.  The system is only 3 years old................
    No problem, I think MS might add newer CPUs to the compatibility list in the future, so i7-7700 may be added later on.
    Microsoft adds a few more CPUs to Windows 11 compatibility list, but the upgrade process still seems like a mess | PC Gamer

• Hiton
    Hiton Member Posts: 4 New User
    brain_163 said:
    No problem, I think MS might add newer CPUs to the compatibility list in the future, so i7-7700 may be added later on.
    Microsoft adds a few more CPUs to Windows 11 compatibility list, but the upgrade process still seems like a mess | PC Gamer

Hello brummyfan2,
    I did some research of why Microsoft didn't add processors below 8th gen. According to there blogs they said they only add processors which supports Virtualization-Based-Security(VBS) which 8th gen processors don't support.But they should fix the compatibility of operating system too.You can actually install official windows 11 with there ISO file but you won't receive updates and terrible performance.Processors which don't support windows 11 have 52% crash chances and processor which supports windows have 98.9% crash free and I don't agree with it Intel Pentium 4417U which is supported for windows 11 gives terrible performance.My laptop also don't support windows 11 because of compatibility processor I need to stay on windows 10
    Here's my specs:
    Acer one 14 Z2-485
    Intel Pentium 4415U❌
    8 gb ram✅
    Tpm 2.0 ✅
    Direct x 12 ✅
    UEFI and Secure boot✅