ACER ATC-710-UR52 What processor will I need for Windows 11?

Options
TonyATS
TonyATS Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2021 in Windows 11
I have an ACER ATC-710-UR52 desktop.
The current processor is an Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 3.4 GHz.
It turns out this isn't compatible with Windows 11.
Does ACER sell compatible processors for this model?
Is there a processor that I can get to replace the one that's in there to make it compatible?
Thanks

Best Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Afraid not as the motherboard wouldn't support a new enough CPU! The good news is windows 19 still has a good 5 to 10 years of support left yet :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Microsoft is requiring the CPU be 8th gen or newer. You typically can't swap generations on a motherboard, the chipsets are tied to a specific generation. Your Aspire TC-710 would require a motherboard replacement as well as the CPU, and very likely memory too, since it would most likely be a different speed. At that point it's better to just get a new system rather than upgrading the old one. Good news is Windows 10 still works and will continue to do so for the next several years, so you can plan for your eventual new computer instead of being forced into it now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Afraid not as the motherboard wouldn't support a new enough CPU! The good news is windows 19 still has a good 5 to 10 years of support left yet :)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Microsoft is requiring the CPU be 8th gen or newer. You typically can't swap generations on a motherboard, the chipsets are tied to a specific generation. Your Aspire TC-710 would require a motherboard replacement as well as the CPU, and very likely memory too, since it would most likely be a different speed. At that point it's better to just get a new system rather than upgrading the old one. Good news is Windows 10 still works and will continue to do so for the next several years, so you can plan for your eventual new computer instead of being forced into it now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TonyATS
    TonyATS Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I was afraid of that. 
    I'm 78 years old and I'm probably stuck with Windows 10 on the ACER 'til I discorporate.
    My HP can go to Windows 11, so at least I can get a taste of it.
    Be well.
    CU all.