Acer Nitro 5 An515-42 (AMD) Driver Timeout errors

TanmayGangwar
TanmayGangwar Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
I have Acer nitro 5 An515-42 for quite some time now its specs are :- 

Ryzen 5 2500u @2.0ghz
Radeon RX 560x 4gb
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 Home Single Language

I am getting error from AMD radeon software, that there is a issue of driver timeout, it seems to happen at random, i had these issues on the latest version of the driver, so i rolled back to a previous version but the error is still, and yes i re-installed drivers multiple times after uninstalling them properly with DDU. There is no overheating issue so i dont think the gpu is overcloking (also who overclocks gpu in laptop ?). There is one issue though the charging pin has become quite loose and it requires weird way to fix the pin the in that the unit can charge is this because of this ? or the issue is something else.

I generally play 3 games :- CSGO, Forhonor and M&B Bannerlord, this issues seems to happen when i play bannerlord, when i play FOr honor it gives error that GPU Driver crashed, everything works when playing CSGO, will appreciate all the help. Also the unit is under warranty, and quite sometime ago the motherboard of the laptop went rogue so the service center replaced if it helps though. I will attach the screenshots in a update.
Namaste,
LIFE IS SHORT MAKE EVERYDAY COUNT 
Always ready to help...
IF i helped please click yes

Answers

• @TanmayGangwar
    This issue is solved in Amd radeon software version 21.10.1
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    edited October 2021
    TanmayGangwar

Try windows x 
    go to device manager 
    expand display adapter
    right click on display driver - uninstall 
    Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 
    Uninstall the display adapter from device manager 
    Dont restart the computer. 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers 
    Install the display driver 

If it is still not working try to reinstall the windows and check it.  

You  can always  do a refresh and reset.   These are steps to do the refresh and reset .. 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove every thing

chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset  - It will be in progress

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost 

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

I understand that the charging pin become loose and you are not able to connect it properly.  

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar
    I had the issue with the latest driver version so i dont think 21.10.1 will help as it is the latest driver version, but i will try again, currently i am updating the drivers agai to 21.10.1 will let you know the result.
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • TanmayGangwar
    edited October 2021
    @TanmayGangwar
    Update :- Upgrading to 21.10.1 did not solve the issue i am getting GPU crashes in For honor and a new crash in Bannerlord "direct3d 11 device has been removed or reset" when i searched a bot for the direct3d 11 error most of the people on reddit and steam are pointing at Gpu overclocking or image sharpening, i have disabled image sharpening through the AMD software, and i never overclocked my GPU.

EDIT1 :- Also while searching reddit and steam forums there was a answer, someone said that windows restarted their GPU when it crossed a certain temperature, even though the GPU is designed to work at 85-90 Degree Celcius, windows restarted it around 70-75. How can i check if the same is happening to me ?
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    edited October 2021
    @TanmayGangwar
    If you have Msi AfterBurner or any other monitoring/overclocking software try to uninstall  them completely and check if your problem still persists

Follow this guide completely step by step if you issue still persists 
    windows 10 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

• TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar
    If you have Msi AfterBurner or any other monitoring/overclocking software try to uninstall  them completely and check if your problem still persists

Follow this guide completely step by step if you issue still persists 
    windows 10 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community
    no i dont use any such programs, i will follow the guide and will let you know the result. 
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • TanmayGangwar
    @GAMING6698

Tried your guide i can see some improvements, but it did not solve the Main issue. 
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • GAMING6698
    edited October 2021
    @TanmayGangwar
    Try to disable Steam overlay, discord overlay, Amd radeon software overlay and don't run msi afterburner in background or any other app

• TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar
    Try to disable Steam overlay, discord overlay, Amd radeon software overlay and don't run msi afterburner in background or any other app
    Nope did not work, still getting driver timeout errors from AMD software
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • GAMING6698
    edited October 2021
    @TanmayGangwar

Type both commands one by one, and then press Enter.  It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Restart your system after complete 

• dhanangaprl9
    dhanangaprl9 Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited October 2021
    1st :
    Have you check that your vga driver is not being overwritten by Windows Update Driver after manual fresh install? my RX 560X has an old (reccommended by acer/microsoft?) driver version in windows update and those driver fkd up latest driver if being automatically installed. You need to hide it or disable wu driver IF that is the case. Conflicted driver version betwen from windows update and amd back then made my laptop goes into kind of BSOD* but i solved it with a clean install with DDU like what you did. but since i have recent model 515-43 maybe its different, so it just for let you to know. 

2nd :
    You said Rolled-back? you did a clean install older driver or just thru the Device Manager? you should clean re-install again with WHQL version. This time use AmdCleanUp utility instead as per my experience, DDU seems also uninstalling AMD Chipset Driver stuff.

Its hard to find the culprit as you already done a clean uninstall with a strong vga driver uninstaller tools.
  • TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar

Type both commands one by one, and then press Enter.  It may take several minutes for the command operation to be completed.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Restart your system after complete 

Alright i performed sfs /scannow, and it found some violation but fixed it, but it did not solve the driver timeout issues, i ran it again this time it did not found any errors.

currently running the DISM cmd will let you know the in an update
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • TanmayGangwar
    edited October 2021
    1st :
    Have you check that your vga driver is not being overwritten by Windows Update Driver after manual fresh install? my RX 560X has an old (reccommended by acer/microsoft?) driver version in windows update and those driver fkd up latest driver if being automatically installed. You need to hide it or disable wu driver IF that is the case. Conflicted driver version betwen from windows update and amd back then made my laptop goes into kind of BSOD* but i solved it with a clean install with DDU like what you did. but since i have recent model 515-43 maybe its different, so it just for let you to know. 

2nd :
    You said Rolled-back? you did a clean install older driver or just thru the Device Manager? you should clean re-install again with WHQL version. This time use AmdCleanUp utility instead as per my experience, DDU seems also uninstalling AMD Chipset Driver stuff.

Its hard to find the culprit as you already done a clean uninstall with a strong vga driver uninstaller tools.
    In windows update under optional updates i do have have option for AMD drivers (a very old version 2019 one i guess) but it has been there for quite sometime, i.e before the Driver timeout issues started, also it does not installs automatically rather give me the option to install it. i was aware that this suggestion was present in windows update, i dont know how to hide it or disable it if you will give some steps i might try disabling it and check.

Secondly when i used DDU, i installed the old the driver WHQL version 21.8.2 directly from AMD website not through device manager.

here is a SS :-

Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • TanmayGangwar
    Here is the SS of the error encountered while playing mount and blade bannerlord :- 
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • @TanmayGangwar
    Check if your gpu temperature going more then 90°C 

• TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar
    Check if your gpu temperature going more then 90°C 
    DISM came back fine , 100% successful no issues. 

The temperature is fine. the max i think it peaks will be around 75-80 when the action kicks on, i have already scheduled a maintainence i.e to fan clean up and a repasting

Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • @TanmayGangwar
    Only way left is Backup your important data and perform clean reset
    Steps-
    1. Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
    2. Press the Power key to turn on the computer.
    3. Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. Your system should boot to a blue screen that says Choose an option.
    4. Select Troubleshoot.
    5. Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system.
    6. Click Next, Clean full drive or erase everything and go ahead 

• TanmayGangwar
    @TanmayGangwar
    Only way left is Backup your important data and perform clean reset
    Steps-
    1. Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.
    2. Press the Power key to turn on the computer.
    3. Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. Your system should boot to a blue screen that says Choose an option.
    4. Select Troubleshoot.
    5. Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system.
    6. Click Next, Clean full drive or erase everything and go ahead 
    Well as you said the only way left, i will wait for a couple of days to see if anyone else have a workaround because i really do not want to perform a clean reset, it is my last resort. Is there any way to check if my hardware is damaged, because recently my laptops motherboard died so, acer service center replaced it with a new one but maybe its an defective piece that is the GPU module is defective? anyway to check it with opening the back panel i know it seems ironical. 
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • @TanmayGangwar
    Yes possible, If you are still under warranty then visit nearest acer service center with your laptop and AC Adaptor without wasting more time.
    They will fix this and also tell them that you already tried performing clean gpu install, updating drivers,Windows repair and temperatures are fine.

• TanmayGangwar
    edited October 2021
    @TanmayGangwar
    Yes possible, If you are still under warranty then visit nearest acer service center with your laptop and AC Adaptor without wasting more time.
    They will fix this and also tell them that you already tried performing clean gpu install, updating drivers,Windows repair and temperatures are fine.
    Alright its under warranty, but there is a obeservation, if i stay Idle in a game then only these crashes happen, that is if i dont give any user input after sometime it crashes, but i keep on playing then these timeouts dont occur
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...