How about take SSD out of PC 1 and use it on PC 2? - Acer T3-715

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited October 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
PC 1 is Acer T3-715, on market 2014, Windows 10 home 64b. version 20H1.  One year older.
PC 2 is Acer T3-715, on market 2015, Windows 10 home 64b. version 21H1.  One year newer.

SSDs are the same, brand & model & capacity & OS all the but the Windows update.

Take PC 1's SSD out of the machine and put it on the motherboard of PC 2 and run it.
Will it run or not?
What damage will it cause?
If it runs safely, will the updated OS version 20H1 boot into Windows on PC 2 which has the experience of running Windows update 21H1 ? ? 

Thank you.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I don't think that it will run because of embedded Windows Key on the mother board.
    But if you made n UBS Recovery drive pre to swapping then maybe it'll go on the swapped SSD.

• Larryodie
    Let me clarify. Created a USB installation disc or use your system image from a DVD or  where ever that you made it.
    But who knows, maybe it'll work if systems are identical. 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
  • Kuen
    Larryodie said:
    Let me clarify. Created a USB installation disc or use your system image from a DVD or  where ever that you made it.
    But who knows, maybe it'll work if systems are identical. 
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Thank you.

My PC is dead.  It stuck at the acer logo at the beginning of booting.  Or it appears as booting.  Many say that it is a harware issue, especially the hard drive.  On T3-715, the OS is installed on SSD.  I, therefore, think about taking the SSD out of another T3-715 and run it on my dead PC, just to see whether or not it is the hard drive's issue.

I'll give up this idea since it is not practical or it is too troublesome.

Thank you & appreciate.

• Larryodie
    I would think that that would be your only choice ? 
    But I'd create an USB Installation disk on your good one, in case that you corrupt the SSD when swapping. Good Luck,
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Larryodie & @Kuen

I think @Kuen can try using the HDD/SSD from another same model PC (Back up the image of the other PC HDD/SSD first, in case it doesn't work, then it is possible to go back), since the original PC seemed dead, nothing to lose there. Generally speaking, in case Win 10 will not accept the product key from the other SSD/HDD, that means the motherboard is not dead. It has to be running until getting to this part.

If it is only a bad HDD/SSD, that will be easy to handle, get another HDD/SSD and download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft using a flash drive and install to this other HDD/SSD from this flash drive will do it.

As far as I know, @Kuen's PC stuck at Acer Logo without the POST beep. I believe using Fn+ALT F10 will not get to the Recovery Menu too.

If everything fail, @Kuen it is time to get a new PC as I suggested earlier.

• Kuen
    Larryodie said:
    I would think that that would be your only choice ? 
    But I'd create an USB Installation disk on your good one, in case that you corrupt the SSD when swapping. Good Luck,
    Thank you.
    No matter where & what is anything created, it cannot be run on my machine.  The reason is simple.  Every device is dead.  USB ports, DVD drive, all dead.  How can you run anything?

• Kuen
    ttttt said:
    @Larryodie & @Kuen

I think @Kuen can try using the HDD/SSD from another same model PC (Back up the image of the other PC HDD/SSD first, in case it doesn't work, then it is possible to go back), since the original PC seemed dead, nothing to lose there. Generally speaking, in case Win 10 will not accept the product key from the other SSD/HDD, that means the motherboard is not dead. It has to be running until getting to this part.

If it is only a bad HDD/SSD, that will be easy to handle, get another HDD/SSD and download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft using a flash drive and install to this other HDD/SSD from this flash drive will do it.

As far as I know, @Kuen's PC stuck at Acer Logo without the POST beep. I believe using Fn+ALT F10 will not get to the Recovery Menu too.

If everything fail, @Kuen it is time to get a new PC as I suggested earlier.

Thank you.

The risk is too hight to take, not for my PC but for the PC borrowed from a friend.

"
    As far as I know, @Kuen's PC stuck at Acer Logo without the POST beep. I believe using Fn+ALT F10 will not get to the Recovery Menu too."

Beep.  There were two times it beeped in the last week when carrying out tests.
    The first time beep.  Removed RAM & GPU & then switched power on, there was a continuing "B" sound.
    The 2nd time beep. Disconnected power & remove RAM only, there was a continuing "B" sound.*
    *There were other and additional  phenomena:
    1.The PC ran automatically when power was connected (The start button was not touched).
    2.There was a continuing "B" sound.
    3.The monitor was not on, remained black.
    4.The start button was dead, (had to disconnect the power for turning the PC off).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Normally swapping a drive between two units of the same model will work fine. The license for Windows is tied to the drive/motherboard combination, but Windows will reactivate itself if needed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    Normally swapping a drive between two units of the same model will work fine. The license for Windows is tied to the drive/motherboard combination, but Windows will reactivate itself if needed.
    Thank you.

I swapped hard drive between 2 even 3 units back in the XP time.  That was IDE hard drive.
    Have not tried since Windows 10 came to the market.

My PC is stuck dead at start of the machine.  A PC is borrowed from a friend, same brand/model/OS, for test.  
    There are some concerns:
    1. Her PC was manufactured one year later (2015) than mine (2015).  Any variations on hardware?
    2. Her Windows was updated to 20H1, mine is 21H1.  Would this cause any issue?
    What if the SSD would not run properly as it did before when it is re-installed back on her machine?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kuen

1 long beep at bootup means memory problem, if you removed all RAM modules from PC this will definitely happen

1 long beep then one short beep means damaged BIOS

1 long beep then two short beeps means having problem accessing VGA or motherboard error

Windows updates are stored in the HDD/SSD, 20H1 or 21H1 should not matter

If she did create a system image using Win 10 or other cloning software before lending the SSD to you, the worst case will be restoring the image to this SSD, no big deal.

Somehow I believe your verdict is right, the motherboard ( or at least the BIOS) is dead.
  • Kuen
    ttttt said:
    @Kuen

1 long beep at bootup means memory problem, if you removed all RAM modules from PC this will definitely happen

1 long beep then one short beep means damaged BIOS

1 long beep then two short beeps means having problem accessing VGA or motherboard error

Windows updates are stored in the HDD/SSD, 20H1 or 21H1 should not matter

If she did create a system image using Win 10 or other cloning software before lending the SSD to you, the worst case will be restoring the image to this SSD, no big deal.

Somehow I believe your verdict is right, the motherboard ( or at least the BIOS) is dead.
    Thank you for information of the beep signals.

"Windows updates are stored in the HDD/SSD,"
    Isn't all windows & updates stored on SSD?

"... 
    restoring the image to this SSD, no big deal."
    No big deal to you. But to us, the common home users, it is a big deal.
  • Kuen
    Earlier, you mentioned the computer hangs during powerup with the Acer logo on the screen.

I'm not familiar with a T3-715 but assume it has an AMI BIOS which briefly shows text at the bottom of the screen during powerup to press Del to enter BIOS setup.  Yes?  Was that how it worked?  Does that text still appear at the bottom to press Del to go into the BIOS setup?

If it's hung before it gets to that point, it isn't trying to boot the SSD yet.  It's balking at something in the hardware.
    Thank you.

Yes. It is an AMI BIOS & yes there is a line at the bottom of the screen & "Del" is in the line.
    But the "Del" or anything else does not function.
    When the whole system is stuck at "acer" logo, everything is dead, all USB ports & keyboard & mouse & DVD drive . . .
    By default, the keyboard is plugged in a USB port.

"If it's hung before it gets to that point, it isn't trying to boot the SSD yet.  It's balking at something in the hardware."
    Some say that Acer put its logo in BIOS.  If so, acer logo shows up before the Windows boots.
    Other say that OEM's logo is usually put in the process of booting. If so, booting has started when logo shows on screen.
    Do not know if Acer does not tell.

If it is balking at anything, there should be a warning or message.
    But the situation does not show like that. Everything dies at this point, that is, when acer logo appears.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    There is one scenario that I can think of that might get your symptoms. That would be if the EFI portion of the BIOS (stored in a little 100MB partition on the drive) was corrupted. It might be able to start to load that code, but fail before the integrity check was performed. The EFI load is the first thing that happen after POST and the last thing that happens before Windows starts to load or it redirects to the BIOS or Boot Menu.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.