webcam not working & camera driver missing for Predator Helios 300 PH317-52

GiantOctopus
GiantOctopus Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hi! Recently I noticed that my built-in webcam is not working and the camera app is showing this message (picture 1).

I tried all the methods I could find online but I think I probably made it worse. I uninstalled the camera driver in the device manager and tried to refresh/restart, but the driver didn't reinstall automatically. 

Other solutions I have tried:
  • I updated all the drivers and windows updates.
  • Add Legacy Device: Nothing shows up for the camera, Imaging Device method also didn't work.
  • Reset camera setting, camera privacy setting, windows troubleshooting hardware/video playback.
  • I couldn't find a camera driver on the Acer support page, and I tried to download a camera driver elsewhere but also failed.
  • I tried to jump back a restore point, didn't work.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is to reset my laptop. Although I cannot choose the cloud download option when I try to reset, only local install. I wonder if this will affect the result?

System Model: Predator PH317-52

(Picture 1 - camera app message)

(picture 2 - device manager, shown hidden device)

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @GiantOctopus,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @GiantOctopus,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

Unfortunately, resetting my PC did not solve the problem. Camera driver still missing and camera cannot be detected. I could not launch the cloud download option while resetting, would this be causing the issue?
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    edited October 2021
    GiantOctopus

Doing recovery ( keep my files or remove everything is always a last option  - You can always chose local reinstall instead of cloud download.   Try keep my files first and then try remove everything ) .    Please do this as a last step. 

We need to understand the cause of this issue.   Your computer is not communicating with the camera.    It is not detecting the camera. 

I personally faced this problem on my laptop.   I did a power drain and bios default and it automatically detected the camera.     I also went to device manager - Click on view - show hidden devices.    It showed the camera.   Uninstalled and restarted the computer.     

Try to install the chipset driver if the camera driver is not present on the acer support website.  

Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers  - Install the camera driver and if it is not present try to install the chipset driver , i/o driver

Kindly refer the link given below

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7602?b=1

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..   Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.  After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn't bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it's internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

Now go to device manager and check whether it installed the camera properly.   On search - type camera - click on camera - You are suppose to view the web cam now.. 

If it is still not working then ...

You  can always  do a refresh and reset.   These are steps to do the refresh and reset .. 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove every thing

chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset  - It will be in progress

If just remove my files option is not working then you can try fully clean the drive as the next option when you try to reinstall it again ..

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost 

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

@William_mk2
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, William! I tried the battery reset entering BIOS and it didn't help the issue. I did a reset earlier and that also didn't work.
    When I tried to download and install the chipset driver, it told me that I have a newer version of DriverSetupUtility already installed. I tried to uninstall two chipset driver inbut it still refuse to install.

• GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

When I uninstall other driver, it'll automatically reinstall when I restart my laptop, however the camera driver seems to be the only exception :'(
  • Does the problem also occur here? https://pt.webcamtests.com/
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

Does the problem also occur here? https://pt.webcamtests.com/
    Yes it didn't work. 
  • Try uninstalling the webcam driver through the device manager. Then restart windows.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

@William_mk2
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, William!

I tried the battery reset entering BIOS and it didn't help the issue. I did a reset earlier and that also didn't work.
    When I tried to download and install the chipset driver, it told me that I have a newer version of DriverSetupUtility already installed. I tried to uninstall two chipset driver in device manager, but it still refuse to install.

• Easwar
    Hi @GiantOctopus,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

Try uninstalling the webcam driver through the device manager. Then restart windows.
    It's the first thing I did, the camera driver never came back after I uninstalled it, now I'm left with no camera driver in my device manager. 🤷‍♂️
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited October 2021
    GiantOctopus if you have tried a battery powerdrain followed by a bios setup defaults or even a acer stock recovery clean install to completely rule out any software issues (make sure to backup everything you need before and follow the video below) seems to really be a hardware issue you need to contact acer support and send it back to get it checked might even be just a disconnected cable or faulty or the webcam module itself that needs replacing good luck :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GleJNW3VTEs

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• GiantOctopus

Tinkerer

I sent an email to the acer support that my driver is missing and they just told me to uninstall the driver...wow. 🤯🤦‍♂️
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    My g3-572 also has a problem with the camera, it became glitch and someday stopped showing any image. But the led still turns on and microphones are ok. I'm thinking about a problem with the camera itself, because in its last days it worked if I applied some pressure over it.
    Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• Easwar
    Hi @GiantOctopus,

It's better to book the unit for repair service.
  • xapim
    I sent an email to the acer support that my driver is missing and they just told me to uninstall the driver...wow. 🤯🤦‍♂️
    As i said if you have tried all the advices above to rule out any software issues its hardware assuming your still under warranty send it back to get it fixed if out of warranty you probably need to fix it yourself or find a good repair shop that would do it for you good luck :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• Dracula
    Dracula Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any update on this issue? I am kind of having the exact same problem on my acer a315 53 p4my and the entire camera driver is missing. 

Tried resetting pc, updated to windows 11 from 10. Windows tech support told me to do a scan for corrupted files. And it came back with windows resource protection didn't find any integrity violations.

Anyways, can we try with adding from legacy hardware > camera > respective driver for the model ? Has anyone here tried this? Please let me know 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,295 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    edited April 2022
    Dracula this is predator laptops forum only you would be better opening a new thread in the correct forum for your own laptop model :)

Acer support:

• rakeshlg90
    rakeshlg90 Member Posts: 2 New User

The steps i followed to make my work correctly.

1) uninstall webcam from Windows Devices + restart pc

2) re-install chipset drivers for the laptop writing down the serial number from support page

3) restart pc and camara recognized and working with full resolution