Need Help: I want to install NVMe card on Predator G3-710 but I'm must be blind.

jober513
jober513 Member Posts: 4 New User
I want to swap out and install an 512 NVMw card on my G3, but can't find the slot for it on the MoB. Help !

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    jober513 said:
    I want to swap out and install an 512 NVMw card on my G3, but can't find the slot for it on the MoB. Help !
    Here are all the details of where the M.2 SSD connector is (see No 3 below) on your G3-710 mobo. Btw, for best upgrades of your memory and SSD drives use the Crucial System Scanner and also activate the TRIM command within windows so that your SSD drive perform to its ultimate performance. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,718 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Also note that Acer's specs for the G3-710 say that M.2 slot is for a SATA card, not NVMe. The block diagram suggests NVMe might work though, it's just not specced by Acer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jober513
    StevenGen said:
    jober513 said:
    Here are all the details of where the M.2 SSD connector is (see No 3 below) on your G3-710 mobo. Btw, for best upgrades of your memory and SSD drives use the Crucial System Scanner and also activate the TRIM command within windows so that your SSD drive perform to its ultimate performance. 

Thanks for the information, I'll crack open the case then.
  • jober513
    billsey said:
    Also note that Acer's specs for the G3-710 say that M.2 slot is for a SATA card, not NVMe. The block diagram suggests NVMe might work though, it's just not specced by Acer.

I'll see if the SSD fits, I plan to use it for the OS, I'll update once I get it installed
  • billsey
    If the NVMe drive isn't supported it will likely still fit, it just won't be recognized by the BIOS or OS. If that happens contact your vendor for a return and get a SATA M.2 card instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jober513
    billsey said:
    If the NVMe drive isn't supported it will likely still fit, it just won't be recognized by the BIOS or OS. If that happens contact your vendor for a return and get a SATA M.2 card instead.
    I'll check it to be sure I see that I can get an adapter for the NVMe, but it will cost me some speed. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks
  • billsey
    Many, if not most, of the NVMe adapters for a PCIe slot aren't bootable, so you lose out on the whole reason for going to an SSD. Better to live with slower speed and put a SSD in that works.