Firmware questions for Monitor Acer nitro XV282K KV.needs a firmware update to perform better.

Brostopher
Brostopher Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 10 in Monitors
Reading around that this monitor needs a firmware update to perform better. I have never done a firmware update for a monitor.

Any steps to follow ? Other than download the file from 2021/08/05 version v007 .f709? 

Just got this thing and want to be sure I don't break something by downloading wrong thing.  Thanks

Monitor Acer nitro XV282KKV
[Edited the thread to  add  model  name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Reading around that this monitor needs a firmware update to perform better. I have never done a firmware update for a monitor.

Any steps to follow ? Other than download the file from 2021/08/05 version v007 .f709? 

Just got this thing and want to be sure I don't break something by downloading wrong thing.  Thanks

Just some advice, take it as you may? Leave your monitor alone, don't belive everything that you read as Acer very rarely provides a "Firmware Update or if at all" for monitors so, this means that the Nitro XV280K dosent need one, if this monitor needed anything to improve its performance then Acer would provide a firmware patch for it. This is a 2021 model 48Hz/144Hz referesher rate monitor from Acer so use it and enjoy its performance and don't touch it and/or try to get 'blood out of a stone' as the preverbial goes =)=)=)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓

Just some advice, take it as you may? Leave your monitor alone, don't belive everything that you read as Acer very rarely provides a "Firmware Update or if at all" for monitors so, this means that the Nitro XV280K dosent need one, if this monitor needed anything to improve its performance then Acer would provide a firmware patch for it. This is a 2021 model 48Hz/144Hz referesher rate monitor from Acer so use it and enjoy its performance and don't touch it and/or try to get 'blood out of a stone' as the preverbial goes =)=)=)
  • Brostopher

Tinkerer

Thanks much appreciated!  I'll do that for now and just check it out as is. Cheers!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Also, with most Acer monitors the only procedure that can be used for a firmware update requires a trip to the service center. They have special hardware that can do it...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • domwlkns
    domwlkns Member Posts: 1 New User
    so I have the same monitor and just got it on thursday last week, i have t connected to a xbox series x and every time i go to start Farcry 6 or Warzone, my screen goes black and the monitors menu doesn't even pop up when i press the toggle. pressing the home button on the xbox doesn't do anything either. i just stare at a black screen until i turn off the xbox. will anybody be able to advise?
  • Brostopher

Tinkerer

Congrats on finding one in stock. 

Not sure how helpful I'll be but I have watched a lot of YouTube vids on it and still learning about playing on a monitor with all of these settings. 

First to confirm you're saying game goes black completely? Not the HDR turning on and goes black for a second? 

So you can access the Xbox settings and dashboard no issue right?  First thing I had to do was ensure HDMI 2.1 was selected on the monitor. (YouTube if needed). 

Next in Xbsx settings, display options etc. What do you have? I had to update mine to 4k UHD 120hz.  If that doesn't fix it what does 4k details say in display settings?

• Freeze333
    Freeze333 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I read all the comments here, and I have exact same problem with XV282KV. Nice to see im not the only one, but have anyone found a solution? 
  • Brostopher

Tinkerer

Interesting..... I am not having this issue with mine. Do you all have the issue with any game? Or specific ones that use HDR or XBSX enhanced? 

I did try to follow the YouTube video on updating the firmware.... That being said one of the folks previously said I couldn't update it if I wanted to. So unsure if I did or not after following it. 

Hopefully you guys get an answer soon. 
  • monitorphish
    monitorphish Member Posts: 1 New User
    If you are having issues with the screen going black when you launch a game, you need to update the firmware.  Download it from here (BIOS/Firmware) - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8918?b=1

Follow the directions in the User Guide folder.  Make sure you have the USB connection set correctly on the monitor settings for the type of cable you are using, and if the tool doesn't find your monitor the first time just try again.  Takes about 10 minutes and fixes a lot of issues.  No idea why StevenGen would steer you away from updating...

Also, while you're at it, make sure you have HDMI 2.1 turned on user the System settings on the monitor.  Silly it isn't enabled by default.  This will allow you to get 4k @ 120 on the Series X, not sure about PS5 since I don't have one. 
  • Brostopher

Tinkerer

If you are having issues with the screen going black when you launch a game, you need to update the firmware.  Download it from here (BIOS/Firmware) - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8918?b=1

Follow the directions in the User Guide folder.  Make sure you have the USB connection set correctly on the monitor settings for the type of cable you are using, and if the tool doesn't find your monitor the first time just try again.  Takes about 10 minutes and fixes a lot of issues.  No idea why StevenGen would steer you away from updating...

Also, while you're at it, make sure you have HDMI 2.1 turned on user the System settings on the monitor.  Silly it isn't enabled by default.  This will allow you to get 4k @ 120 on the Series X, not sure about PS5 since I don't have one. 
    @monitorphish Awesome. So that's prob why I don't have that issue I updated the firmware correctly. 

If you have the XBSX any other setting changes you made to the XBSX or monitor? I have been trying the VRR setting on the Xbox and feel that it does fine with it off.  I have not tweaked any other settings on monitor or XBSX.
  • ShadowDriver
    ShadowDriver Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just wanted to confirm that after updating the firmware as per what @monitorphish posted above, I have experienced no more issues with a black screen in starting up or switching between games on my Xbox Series X. I've tested this now for a couple of hours after updating the firmware. I also have a PS5 hooked up to the monitor and have had no black screen issues on that system either after the firmware update.

Also, if you have this monitor and you are not experiencing any issues, it may be because you already have the latest firmware on your monitor. This is from the Read Me.txt file in the firmware archive:
    The firmware on products from batches prior to weekcode 130 may be upgraded.
    The customers may check if the monitor is eligible for upgrade by referencing the SN on the product/carton label

PS: Refer to code YWW in the SN for the weekcode
    Example (PPPPPPPPPPYWWSSSSSMMEE)
    My YWW code was 125. 
  • NDG317
    NDG317 Member Posts: 1 New User
    What happens if the firmware update isn’t done properly?
  • ShadowDriver
    ShadowDriver Member Posts: 2 New User
    NDG317 said:
    What happens if the firmware update isn’t done properly?
    I'm not sure, but it only took ~8 minutes to update the firmware and everything "just worked". 
  • cheesyyungsta
    cheesyyungsta Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but I just purchased this monitor and I'm having the issue of the screen turning black when I switch from the dashboard to a game, or back to the dashboard on my Xbox Series X.

I looked into the firmware update, but the ReadMe file says the following:

"The firmware on products from batches prior to weekcode 130 may be upgraded. The customers may check if the monitor is eligible for upgrade by referencing the SN on the product/carton label.
    PS: Refer to code YWW in the SN for the weekcode. Example (PPPPPPPPPPYWWSSSSSMMEE)"

My YWW code is 251, which tells me my monitor should not need the update. However, I am seeing lots of you saying this issue is solved after performing the update. I am also seeing lots of reports online of people bricking their monitors after the update, which makes me hesitant.

My question is: Has anyone with a week code after 130 performed this update successfully? Did it resolve any issues?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

This is normal if the dashboard and game are in different resolutions. You will get a couple of seconds of black while the monitor switches.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.