PH315-53-781R freezing issue

JoelN
JoelN Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2021 in Predator Laptops
I am experiencing seemingly random freezing/deadlocking of my Predator Helios 300. Running Windows 10; I have seen this since I got it, but it used to occur once or twice a month now I am seeing the problem at least once a day.

I haven't been able to reliably duplicate it and it seems to occur at random.  I have had it completely lock up while monitoring the resources/temp and the CPU/GPU will be in the mid 50-60s.  It occurs when gaming or browsing the web, or even just after returning from it sitting idle.  I wanted to rule out failing RAM so I ram a memtest86, but I had it freeze twice during that requiring a hard reboot.  So I am seeing it freeze even out of the primary OS, Win10.  One memtest finally complete 4 passes with no errors, so I am not sure it is RAM.

After a freeze and hard reboot, there is no dump, event logs, or record of the deadlock.  I have not received and BSODs or GSODs; system just stops responding and the keyboard colors keep pulsing away mockingly. :)

Any thoughts, tips, or tricks?  I'm really running out of ideas on this.  Thanks!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @JoelN,

How many memory space left in the HDD ?
  • JoelN
    JoelN Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2021
    @Easwar I had about 50% of the space left on my primary drive(SSD) and 25% on my second SSD.

I waited a bit to report back but I think this is solved.  I did the clean boot @Jack22 recommended, but I only ran it that way for a day turning back on services one at a time, wasn't patient enough to see if it was a particular service.  I also wasn't confident it was a software issue since I saw it occur when I was in a pre-Windows state as well.

Ultimately I popped the back off and swapped my two SSDs in their slots.  I noticed that my primary (C:) drive was in Disk 1 and my second in Disk 0.  I also swapped the RAM modules and cleaned all the contacts.  Have over 2 weeks of steady up time now no hangs, freezes, or resets.  Seems rock solid.  I'm not sure how to re-title this with a [SOLVED] tag...

TLDR: Swapped both ram modules and SDD positions.  System stable now problems have not returned.