TC-390 and Owl Memory

Polter905
Polter905 Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello, 
I recently purchased an Acer Aspire prebuild (TC-390) in late August and wanted to upgrade the memory from the 8gb that it came with to 32gb as I had found a good deal.  

Upon installation of the OlOy Owl 32gb (2x 16gb) DDR4 3600 SDRAM, 288-pin - the computer wouldn't boot up.  Tried in the first two slots as well as slot 1 and 3 and still wont boot. 

As defective RAM is still a possibility, it is very rare for something brand new ram out of the package to be dead on arrival which has me wondering if the motherboard itself cannot handle this ram?  I have read everywhere that motherboards should be slowing down your memory if it's too fast for it to handle so I grabbed the 3600 with future upgrade in mind (being able to transfer that to a new computer as opposed to buying even more ram later) and I recall when the Ryzen 3 first came out that some articles were talking about there being issues with memory being over 3200 mhz but that was years ago so I would have figured that problem would be solved by now.

Also just for reference, I added 16gb (2x 8gb) from my previous computer and am using 3 slots for 24gb and that boots up.  *shrugs*

So what's the scoop?  Do I have bad memory?  Do I have a computer that doesnt like this brand of ram?  Do I have a different problem?  

Kindly advise.  

Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Spec says: "DDR4 1.2V 3200/2666 U-DIMM" and "Data rate 2666 MT/s". That implies 3200 will run, but at the 2666 speed. It's possible the memory you bought won't run at the slower speed your motherboard requires. It's almost always best to match the speed of the memory already installed...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Polter905
    Polter905 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2021
    billsey said:
    Spec says: "DDR4 1.2V 3200/2666 U-DIMM" and "Data rate 2666 MT/s". That implies 3200 will run, but at the 2666 speed. It's possible the memory you bought won't run at the slower speed your motherboard requires. It's almost always best to match the speed of the memory already installed...

Where are you reading the specs for this motherboard?  I shouldnt need to come to this site and ask the community to find the details of this motherboard.

Ive been looking for specs/details for this motherboard specifically to know the details prior to when I made my purchase - so I would really appreciate someone from the f*cking Acer get off their f*ckin' ***** and start answering legit questions from their customers and having a little common sense - such as, providing the bloody manuals for their hardware for their prebuilt system so people actually know wtf is inside.

And fyi - the memory was not mixed - just that one kit installed.  
    Extra text added because "9 characters short" disregard this sentence.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Acer themselves doesn't have a presence here, other than the moderators. When you get a response it's from other Acer users like us. The Acer Aces though have access to service guides and we're allowed to post snippets from them, but not the full manuals.
    Crucial's site says supported memory configurations are 3200, 2666 and 2400, so they are suggesting you can downgrade to slower memory than spec, but not faster. My suggestion is to return the 3600 memory and purchase 3200 instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.