Predator G6-710 bios update

Options
PeteW
PeteW Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi,
I have been given a Predator G6-710 minus ssd and hard drive. It's an i7 6700K 4Ghz with 16Gb of memory. I bought an ssd with Windows 10 preloaded - logo appears and goes to the circling stars but freezes after one revolution. Attempts to load Ubuntu 20.04 to a hard drive freezes during the CD disc check phase. I loaded MS DOS version 5 to hard drive and it runs successfully. I don't want to go the expense of a possible wild goose chase of swapping cpu, memory, mother-board. The current bios is version RO1-A2 which I would like to upgrade to RO-A4 (if this is the right one) to see if this cures the problem. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Best Answer

• PeteW
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Cracked it. Thanks for your advice that the machine had got past post - it reassured me the hardware was OK. I then discovered that it was hanging on an error from the bluetooth dongle - power lead was not fully home. Removed windows ssd and loaded Ubuntu on to a 1Tb drive as sda. No need to update Bios at the moment. Again Thanks. Pete

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you ever tried to run a cold install of windows 10 or windows 11? 
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    You are going to need to get Windows running before trying a BIOS update. Since it's getting to the circling balls it's well past POST, so not a hardware problem. Best bet is to reinstall the Windows OS from scratch. a pre-installed OS will not have the right drivers for your system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PeteW
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 from CD to hard drive and the system freezes at a blank screen after the installation disk check. I don't have Win 10 installation CD and would prefer a non windows system, Any way round having to use a Windows OS.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Not for BIOS updates really, though you might be able to install the BIOS from a USB Windows boot. If you are hanging with the circling balls you haven't done a Ubuntu boot, so you need to get into the F12 boot menu and choose an Ubuntu boot image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PeteW
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Cracked it. Thanks for your advice that the machine had got past post - it reassured me the hardware was OK. I then discovered that it was hanging on an error from the bluetooth dongle - power lead was not fully home. Removed windows ssd and loaded Ubuntu on to a 1Tb drive as sda. No need to update Bios at the moment. Again Thanks. Pete