How to upgrade Acer Aspire XC-830 to NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030

Options
I want to run a piece of software which currently runs rather slow and the GPU is maxing out so I would like to replace it with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 but found out the power supply will not be able to handle this graphic’s card so I then though about replacing the PSU as currently it’s 19V at 65W and on other forum post it states you should have 300W but because there is no built in PSU at the moment nor are there any cutouts for one I was hoping someone would have an idea.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Scott976

It is unlucky that your XC-830 only has 65W external power supply. GT1030 cards in general can be used for PCs having power supply as low as 220-240W such as those Dell Inspiron series.

Since the GT1030 cards only use the power from the motherboard without those typical 6 or 8 pins PCIe power inputs, you cannot even use the dirty work around trick of using a separate external PSU connecting 6 or 8 pins PCIe power connector to the GT 1030 card disregarding untidy look.

My suggestion: Drop this idea or get a more powerful PC.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options
    Your XC-830 come stock with two major GPU options. If you have a 65W supply it came without a GPU card, if a 90W supply it came with a GT 710 or GT 720 card. Due to the power limitations you really can't bump up much. A larger supply isn't suggested because the power traces on the motherboard aren't designed for higher than the 90W supply.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.