Windows Notification sounds don't work right with Aspire TC-1660.

prunemaster
prunemaster Member Posts: 181 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
Windows Notification sounds don't work right with Aspire TC-1660.
Both the front aux jack and the rear green audio out jack produce faulty sound with Windows system sounds.
The various things in Control Panel > Sounds menus don't work right the first time you click them.  Then they work if you repeatedy click them.
Then after pausing say 10 or 15 seconds, they malfunction again.
Likewise, even the volume slider next to the System Tray is afflicted.
Is this a known problem?  Is there any fix?

(I'll drum my fingers and wait "600 seconds" until I try submitting this again because a spam block is in effect on my account, a red banner told me so.)
(This seems like it's taking more than "600 seconds".  drum drum drum...)

Best Answers

• prunemaster
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    I found a workaround (read:hack) to fix the Windows System Sounds.  Now finally the system sounds work right.
    A brief overview of the hack, I exported a couple registry keys related to the Class GUID of the Realtek Audio device.
    I did that while the Realtek Audio device was setup with the MS generic driver.
    Then after Windows Update changed the driver to the Realtek one, I put it back the MS generic driver.
    That alone still does not solve it 100%, but importing those registry keys back at that point does fix it.

I'd give more complete detailed steps how to work around Acer's bug, but why should I ?
    Acer Level 1 and Level 2 support totally gave me the rude shrug-off and wouldn't assist or even attempt to verify my report.
    I won't forget it.

• prunemaster
    Answer ✓
    Ah.  I found the  exact  registry entry that was goofed-up from the Realtek driver.
    I manually put in a sensible value and all is fixed.

Now I don't need to rollback the Realtek driver to the MS generic audio driver.
    Just fix the registry entry, that's all.

Tracking that subkey down was a challenge, but now that I know it, there is actually documentation on  docs.microsoft.com  describing it.
    Would an Acer Level 1 support agent, or Level 2 supervisor like to know what the reg location and value is?
    Ask me.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    @prunemaster

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x
    click on power shell admin or command prompt admin 
    type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  
    click on next, finish, yes
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date 
    if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 
    It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is working now ..

If it is still not working.. 

Try windows x 
    Go to device manager - Go to sound video and game controllers.  Expand it 
    Uninstall the sound driver from device manager.  Please uninstall all the items below the sound video and game controllers. 
    Restart the computer.  It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 
    Uninstall the sound driver from device manager 
    Dont restart the computer. 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers 
    Install the sound driver 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    They likely would, though posting it here won't get it to them. Remember the only Acer people here are the moderators... Other users might appreciate it though!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    That sounds as if the issue is with the RealTek driver, and should affect pretty much anyone using it. I don't think it's limited to just the TC-1660, but maybe to everyone using the chipset in concert with RealTek.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • richpman
    richpman Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have just purchased an XC-1660 and have exactly the same problems with the sound notifications. Have tried the fixes suggested here but no joy. Would like to know the registry fix though.

• billsey
    Try contacting Realtek to see if they are testing a replacement driver to fix the issue yet.
  • kjfuller7
    kjfuller7 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this exact same problem. I has devoured hours of my life! I'll do the registry hack with proper instructions OR install an older driver... but finding older drivers from a trusted resource has proven futile to this point.
  • Ann49
    Ann49 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem also along with the cd disk won't install items I need too.  Would love to know how to do it also :)

• billsey
    Intel had me install new Realtek drivers last week on a couple of my machines, so they must have released new drivers...
  • GlassVial
    GlassVial Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ah.  I found the  exact  registry entry that was goofed-up from the Realtek driver.
    I manually put in a sensible value and all is fixed.

Now I don't need to rollback the Realtek driver to the MS generic audio driver.
    Just fix the registry entry, that's all.

Tracking that subkey down was a challenge, but now that I know it, there is actually documentation on  docs.microsoft.com  describing it.
    Would an Acer Level 1 support agent, or Level 2 supervisor like to know what the reg location and value is?
    Ask me.

Would like to know the registry changes needed, have an XC-1660 with similar audio dropout issues, have scoured the internet and only finding other people with the same problem and no solutions.