Changing A315-58 SATA mode

Options
Dannyps
Dannyps Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi. I've found the Ctrl+S trick on this forum, but it does not seem to work on my Aspire 3 A315-58.

Is there a specific trick for this model?
Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,528 Trailblazer
    Options
    What SATA mode is it in now? AHCI, RAID or iRST w/ or w/o optane?

Jack E/NJ

• Dannyps
    Options
    Well, I don't know. I can't see the option.

All I know is I can't do a fresh install of Windows 10.
  • JackE
    Options
    That's because you must first disable secure boot in the UEFI BIOS. You must also check the existing UEFI SATA mode or you could disable or brick  the laptop. Why are you trying to install a Microsoft generic version of Win10?  It is not the same as the ACER OEM version that's made for the proprietary ACER motheroard. You will also risk losing the hidden OEM reset partition and drivers needed for the ACER hardware peripherals and output ports to run properly..

Jack E/NJ

• Dannyps
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the help. Have you got any pointers about how I can check the UEFI SATA mode?

Btw, installing a clean version of Windows is something I usually do on every PC I get simply because I find the preinstalled bloatware to be too degrading for the overall experience. And it's a computer, not an android phone. Let me install whatever I want. If Acer's mindset is creating barriers to users' customizations, then I shall take that into consideration whenever I buy the next laptop or am requested for advice in such matters ✌
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Btw, installing a clean version of Windows is something I usually do on every PC >>>

Not a reall good idea these days. Windows updates are designed to build/improve upon the base factory OEM installation at the time it was produced. Wiping the drive to fresh install the latest generic Windows version will pretty much wipe out the original OEM factory system base and the hidden OEM reset partition. It can be done but you're making a lot of work for yourself doing it.

As far as bloatware, like Amazon junk, MS store, etc, these can be ignored or deleted if it makes you feel better. They take up virtually no space on today's huge storage capacities and can be easily removed from consuming any RAM space at startup thru TaskManager.  The OEM ACER tools like QuickAccess or CareCenter certainly are not bloatware and can make it a whole lot easier to tune the machine than the often clumsy Microsoft tools.

But it's your machine, not mine. So to check your SATA mode, shut the machine down. Then turn it back on again and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. The BIOS Information or Main tabs should list the SATA mode. It's usually set to AHCI. AHCI allows easy dual boot capability whereas Intel rapid start technology iRST mode with or without optane memory cache or RAID mode limit dual booting.

To disable secure boot, you usually must set and save a supervisor password in the BIOS Security tab. Then press F10 to save the setting and exit the BIOS menu. Then shut the machine down again. Turn it back on an immediately starting tapping the F2 key again to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password. Then you can disable secure boot. Then enable the F10 and D2D boot options in the BIOS Main tab. F10 to save settings and exit again.

Then shut the machine off again. Insert the generic Win10 USB installation stick. Then turn the machine back on and immediately tap the F12 key to select the generic Win10 USB installation. It should warn you that it will overwrite an existing Win10 installation. Then you make the decision whether or not to wipe out the ACER OEM installation and disable the hidden OEM reset partition.

Jack E/NJ