Acer KG271 working on linux but not working on windows 10

hydrym
hydrym Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2021 in Monitors
I have dual boot system ubuntu + windows 10 and the monitor is working normally if I boot into ubuntu at startup of the pc, but if I complete the startup into windows then the screen is not recognized, not even in the device manager where it shows in the "Monitors" section "generic pnp monitor".
I tried all the solutions on the internet from plugging/unplugging (which is silly) to uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers (using device manager and even from the intel and amd's websites) but NOTHING IS WORKING!

My laptop is hp core-i5-8250U 16GB RAM 1TB SSD with integrated intel graphics intel UHD 620 and amd graphics AMD radeon r7m370

Please help ASAP

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    You likely need to be looking at the GPU drivers not monitor drivers. Monitors use plug and play to tell the GPU what resolution is supported and the Radeon is trying to push out an unsupported resolution in Windows. Either that or you are trying to plug it into a port that's not enabled. Are you plugged into an HDMI port on the laptop?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hydrym
    billsey said:
    You likely need to be looking at the GPU drivers not monitor drivers. Monitors use plug and play to tell the GPU what resolution is supported and the Radeon is trying to push out an unsupported resolution in Windows. Either that or you are trying to plug it into a port that's not enabled. Are you plugged into an HDMI port on the laptop?
    Hello, I will add some info to answer your question in the comment and your other possible questions, the monitor used to be working normally on both ubuntu and windows before, simultaneously, but then I don't know why it stopped working one day on windows
    ,maybe because of an update,
    and then I installed intel graphics command center and it could not detect the monitor,
     then I installed intel graphics control panel (which is not available for download anymore for some reason) and surprisingly it was able to detect the monitor but I had to press on "detect" manually each time I reboot the pc.

Regarding your question, yes I have the screen plugged into the laptop using   HDMI port which is definitely working.

The situation is as follow: 1. boot into ubuntu -> every thing works normally
                                              2. don't change anything in the hardware or wires connections but boot into windows -> external screen can not be detected

Please help this is so frustrating
  • billsey
    The Intel graphics updates don't help here, the GPU in use looks like it's the AMD Radeon. The Intel stuff won't see the monitor because the Radeon is what's actually talking to it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hydrym
    billsey said:
    The Intel graphics updates don't help here, the GPU in use looks like it's the AMD Radeon. The Intel stuff won't see the monitor because the Radeon is what's actually talking to it.
    ok I get you but then what is the solution, what should I do?
  • billsey
    It sounds like the Radeon drivers are trying to run the monitor at a different resolution than what is supported. I'd try a reinstall of those drivers first and if that didn't work, a reinstall with the files getting deleted in the process. You pretty much went through the process already, just with Intel drivers instead of the Radeon drivers.
  • hydrym
    billsey said:
    It sounds like the Radeon drivers are trying to run the monitor at a different resolution than what is supported. I'd try a reinstall of those drivers first and if that didn't work, a reinstall with the files getting deleted in the process. You pretty much went through the process already, just with Intel drivers instead of the Radeon drivers.
    sorry for late feedback reply, here what I tried till now:

reinstall intel UHD 620 drivers
    reinstall amd r7 m340 drivers
    FORMAT WINDOWS
    connecting  my pc while it is running windows to my tv via HDMI, and surprisingly it worked normally

so it looks like the issue is with this specific acer monitor, what other solutions can I try??

Thanks.
  • billsey
    Did you use the same HDMI cable to connect both the TV and the monitor? We need to pin down where exactly it fails. When it's connected to the monitor using the same HDMI as you used with the TV then go into display settings and look at the resolution set for the monitor. It should be 1920x1080@60Hz by default, but may be set to something different.