Aspire A115-31 black screen BIOS Upgrade help

Options
mastqallandar
mastqallandar Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello Acer Users,
I bought Aspire 1 (A115-31) last year due to changing home i could not use it at all, it has just come out of warranty and i now opened it after 11 months to find it is not working.
The screen is black.
Upon powering up and putting it on, i can see the blue lights i can also see charging lights, but there is no display even after connecting external monitor, it doesnt even go to the bios routine as i donot see caps lock or num lock on external key board as well.
I have already tried multiple things, like:
1- resetting the BIOS by removing CMOS cel
2- resetting the BIOS by push button switch on mother board
3- FYI there is no RAM module it is all built in onboard so no chance for the RAM insertion issue
4- I removed the Battery, battery is fine i checked it with my multimeter
5- i checked the charger and the charging port both fine and at 19 V
6- Now i want to try to upgrade the BIOS through USB, hoever i couldnt do it as there is no help available to do it for this model

when i copy the BIOS extracted files in to my USB (FAT 32 Formatted fresh), and press Fn + ESC before the power key, screens lights up and a logo of "TianoCore is displayed"
I can see some USB activity at the same time as well but unfortunately this does not do anything and the screen again goes black.

I am assuming there is another way to make a USB and i am not making the USB correctly, can anyone please help me with this.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hello Acer Users,
    I bought Aspire 1 (A115-31) last year due to changing home i could not use it at all, it has just come out of warranty and i now opened it after 11 months to find it is not working.
    The screen is black.
    Upon powering up and putting it on, i can see the blue lights i can also see charging lights, but there is no display even after connecting external monitor, it doesnt even go to the bios routine as i donot see caps lock or num lock on external key board as well.
    I have already tried multiple things, like:
    1- resetting the BIOS by removing CMOS cel
    2- resetting the BIOS by push button switch on mother board
    3- FYI there is no RAM module it is all built in onboard so no chance for the RAM insertion issue
    4- I removed the Battery, battery is fine i checked it with my multimeter
    5- i checked the charger and the charging port both fine and at 19 V
    6- Now i want to try to upgrade the BIOS through USB, hoever i couldnt do it as there is no help available to do it for this model

when i copy the BIOS extracted files in to my USB (FAT 32 Formatted fresh), and press Fn + ESC before the power key, screens lights up and a logo of "TianoCore is displayed"
    I can see some USB activity at the same time as well but unfortunately this does not do anything and the screen again goes black.

I am assuming there is another way to make a USB and i am not making the USB correctly, can anyone please help me with this.

First don't do anything and/or try to do anything with the BIOS as you will brick your laptop! BIOS updates are only done for their specific fixes that they are titled and made for, they are not like an update that you have to have! BIOS updates have to be done through the .exe file and in your A115-31 case the last BIOS update is the BIOS_1.10 version 1.10 dated 2021/07/27 titled "Update intel MCU code" and it has to be done through windows OS and trying to do it in any other way you will cause damage!

Try this proposed Acer SG troubleshooting step first and see if this will fix your problems, otherwise you have a faulty LCD screen or other components that are related, if so take your A115-31 to either Acer or an experienced technician to fix this problem for you.