won't boot after adding a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for extra storage Nitro 5 AN515-57

Options
Hoffster
Hoffster Member Posts: 10 New User
edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I have just bought a Nitro 5 AN515-57 and a new MX500 1TB SATA SSD for extra storage. My system will not boot with it connected.
I have tried 2 other SSD's and have no issues. I have also connected the MX500 to my PC and after initializing and formatting it seems to work fine. However, when I reinstall it in the Nitro it again fails to boot.

Right now I have an expensive paperweight. Any ideas?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options
    Hoffster said:
    I have just bought a Nitro 5 AN515-57 and a new MX500 1TB SATA SSD for extra storage. My system will not boot with it connected.
    I have tried 2 other SSD's and have no issues. I have also connected the MX500 to my PC and after initializing and formatting it seems to work fine. However, when I reinstall it in the Nitro it again fails to boot.

Right now I have an expensive paperweight. Any ideas?

Test and see if the "FFC CABLE FOR HDD part #: 50.Q7KN2.005" SATA connector is working and is either connected properly to the motherboard or the 2.5" MX500 SSD.

• Hoffster
    Options
    StevenGen said:

Test and see if the "FFC CABLE FOR HDD part #: 50.Q7KN2.005" SATA connector is working and is either connected properly to the motherboard or the 2.5" MX500 SSD.

Thanks,

The cable works fine. I have tested with 2 other drives (Toshiba HDD and a Samsung EVO 850) and have no problem with them. Neither of them are suitable to be a permanent solution unfortunately.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you referring to the mx500 m2 2280 or the mx500 of 2.5"?

Imagem 3 de 3 de Hd Ssd Crucial 1tb Mx500 25  7mm Sata 6gbs Ct1000mx500ssd1
    What is the version bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hoffster
    Options
    It's the 2.5" version.
    BIOS is - Insyde Corp. V1.04, 11/05/2021

Acer Care Centre tells me everything is up to date so I am stumped.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    In this case, the only possibility would be to try to update the bios to version 1.10: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8963?b=1
    Does ssd mx500 work on another computer?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Hoffster
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Then report the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hoffster
    Options
    Unfortunately this has made no difference. It still will not post with drive connected.

I am baffled as to why 2 other drives work but not this one. It works when connected to my PC, but will not allow the Nitro to boot.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    OK! Try this procedure:
    a) disconnect the lithion battery and disconnect the ssd mx500.
    b) then go to windows, press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system startup, activate safeboot and restart windows:

c) then go to the bios, press ctrl+s on the main tab and disable the vmd controller:

d) press f10 to save and exit. Windows will install the correct driver on safe boot.
    e) then disable fast startup in power options, turn off the computer, disconnect the lithion battery, connect the ssd mx500 again and then connect the lithion battery. Check if the computer boots:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10  Tutorials

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can also connect the ssd mx500 to the other computer that is recognizing the ssd and then try to update the firmware, see: https://www.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/mx500-support

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hoffster
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have done everything up to d)save and exit
    upon booting in safe mode, nothing appeared to happen and my power options only show the following
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    first, check the ssd firmware:
    You can also connect the ssd mx500 to the other computer that is recognizing the ssd and then try to update the firmware, see: https://www.crucial.com/support/ssd-support/mx500-support

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hoffster
    Options
    first, check the ssd firmware:

Thanks for your help egydiocoelho, but I give up.

Have tried all that too and noting works. Its seems there are many others that have had this issue without success.

• Hoffster
    Options
    egydiocoelho any idea how to set SATA mode to AHCI.

Cntrl + S brings up the VMD Controller but i see no way to set the SATA mode to AHCI

I don't usually mess with BIOS stuff so this is all new to me.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! In that case, disable the vmd controller. But you must enable safe boot before disabling the vmd controller so that the blue screen does not occur.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• CVonC
    CVonC Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    OK! Try this procedure:
    b) then go to windows, press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system startup, activate safeboot and restart windows:

c) then go to the bios, press ctrl+s on the main tab and disable the vmd controller:

d) press f10 to save and exit. Windows will install the correct driver on safe boot.
    e) then disable fast startup in power options, turn off the computer, disconnect the lithion battery, connect the ssd mx500 again and then connect the lithion battery. Check if the computer boots:
    Can confirm this fixed it for me! Thanks! MX500 successfully booted in Windows with the stock WD m.2 SSD connected
  • Contemsolutions
    Contemsolutions Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    CVonC said:
    OK! Try this procedure:

Can confirm this fixed it for me! Thanks! MX500 successfully booted in Windows with the stock WD m.2 SSD connected
    This also worked for me. Thank you
  • Contemsolutions
    Contemsolutions Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Good day,

In case this may help someone in future; I had practically the same issue.

I uninstalled the Storage Executive and updated the bios from V1.18 to V1.19 and it started booting fine with the MX500 installed internally.

Uninstalling Storage Executive may not be necessary.

Kind regards.