HOW CAN I MAKE IT SO I BOOT MY MY LAPTOP FROM MY SSD - Acer Nitro AN515-42

Kingzib
Kingzib Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I DID PARTITION THE SSD SO I CAN SEE IT ON DISK MANAGMENT DO I NEED TO CLONE THE HARD DRIVE TO THE SSD AND WHAT PROGRAM DO I NEED TO USE TO DO SO AND AFTER I DO HOW CAN I MAKE SURE IT RUNS FROM THE SSD ONCE THIS WORKS I DEBATING ON UPDATING THE GPU NEXT I EXTENDED THE RAM AND ADDED THE SSD SO FAR.

UserBenchmarks: Game 22%, Desk 69%, Work 20%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U - 56.1%
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X - 24.8%
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO M.2 250GB - 82.6%
HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 58.2%
RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH TEAMGROUP-SD4-2400 16GB - 81.1%
MBD: Acer Nitro AN515-42

​//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Kingzib said:
    I DID PARTITION THE SSD SO I CAN SEE IT ON DISK MANAGMENT DO I NEED TO CLONE THE HARD DRIVE TO THE SSD AND WHAT PROGRAM DO I NEED TO USE TO DO SO AND AFTER I DO HOW CAN I MAKE SURE IT RUNS FROM THE SSD ONCE THIS WORKS I DEBATING ON UPDATING THE GPU NEXT I EXTENDED THE RAM AND ADDED THE SSD SO FAR.

UserBenchmarks: Game 22%, Desk 69%, Work 20%
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U - 56.1%
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X - 24.8%
    SSD: Samsung 860 EVO M.2 250GB - 82.6%
    HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 58.2%
    RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH TEAMGROUP-SD4-2400 16GB - 81.1%
    MBD: Acer Nitro AN515-42

First, with the Nitro AN515-42 you can't update the GPU, the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard and cant be updated. With the RAM its easiest to go to the Crucial site and use their Crucial System Scanner to find out the upgrade RAM for your laptop. With cloning your existing boot spinner HDD to a new boot SSD, use an appropriate software like Macrium Reflect v7 Free  or if you have a Samsung SSD use their Data Migration that is specially made for their drives.

After you have cloned the old boot HDD then take the old HDD out, as that will make your computer boot from the new SSD, otherwise it will always boot from the old HDD. After that and once you are in the OS, put the old HDD back and format the old HDD and use it as either a slave or an external backup drive or keep it as an emergency drive. But, for bets system backups use Macrium Reflect v7 Free to do periodic backups of your boot drive if you want additional features then see the Macrium Reflect site for their different key features software that is available.