Why won't my Acer aspire 3 A 315 23 ROLD boot? Cant install windows, boot list is "empty"

Zerozarkdra
Zerozarkdra Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
First off, a little resume of my adventures.

1. Pc starts lagging out tremendously out of nowhere, Windows button does not respond so I turn it off manually by pressing the Power button.

2. As soon as soon I restart it to see if there are any lingering issues, pc goes straight into Automatic Repair. After 4 or 5 tries of trying to get it to work (automatic solutions - restart), it starts showing the message "No Bootable device" or "default boot device missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select boot manager to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media" (the latter if Fast Boot is disabled).

Then I finally contacted support (should have done it as soon as the automatic repair issue happened). They give me the instruction to download Windows in a USB to boot the PC after telling me to reset it with a needle on the miniscule reset hole. I do both, but to no avail. After putting the formatted USB the screen turns blue after the Acer logo, stays like that for a while and then the pc turns off by itself.

Support told me to mail it since it still on warranty. I use my PC for my job, so I want to try to fix it one last time.

Couple of things that support seemed a bit surprised by:

Fans are noisy.

Boot list only lists the USB device (as "USB HDD: VendorCoProductCode"). Just bought it today, its from SanDisk and has 8gb.

Please help a brother out. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Likely the drive has failed, removing access to the EFI partition used to load the EFI portion of the BIOS. The flash drive shows up because it has the appropriate EFI files. Unfortunately there's no real fix handy for that issue, so it's best to o ahead and let Acer do the repairs. Your system has an M.2 NVMe drive installed. If you were out of warranty we'd suggest getting a replacement drive, then installing Windows to it, but there's a slim chance the issue is actually the motherboard/M.2 slot itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.