Low CPU frequency/utilization while playing games - Aspire 5(A515-56G)

scifidemon
scifidemon Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I have Acer Aspire 5(A515-56G) with i5-1135G7 and MX350. I have been using it for about 8 months already and never had any problems. Recently, while playing valorant, I noticed a significant FPS drop. When I monitored my CPU it was running below 1GHz while playing the game. I tried everything from fixing power options, updating drivers, and even performing a clean OS install but still can't fix the issue. What might be the reason and how can I fix it?

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Check CPU/GPU temperatures when this happens.

Jack E/NJ

• scifidemon
    scifidemon Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Check CPU/GPU temperatures when this happens.
    I noticed that my laptop is capping the temperatures at 75 degrees... If it goes above 75 degrees, it will aggressively throttle my CPU speeds. I also noticed that it does this randomly. Sometimes, it won't throttle up to 95 degrees. But once I restart, it starts capping it at 75 degrees. This happens totally at random.
  • JackE
    Others have reported some success with moderating this kind of behavior using ThrottleStop & AsusTweak3. No guarantees though.

Jack E/NJ

• Ghailene
    Ghailene Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hey i have the same pc can you pls tell me what is your bios version and the intel driver cuz i think we got the same problem here ! 
  • JackE
    Games should be using the nvidia GPU, not the Intel GPU. Open Device Manager. Make sure no red or yellow warnings appear. And that the Intel and nvidia GPUs are listed in the Display Adapters folder. Go to this link and try the nvidia drivers for whichever Windows version you have. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8628?b=1

Jack E/NJ