Current temperature limit mx330 in GPU-Z 75 °C - ACER Aspire 3 A315-57G

vilsar
vilsar Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Why is the Current temperature limit mx330 in GPU-Z 75 ° C? This is very small. When launching games or programs freezing and throtling. Please see how on your laptop.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Not considered a gaming laptop. Gaming laptops usually have bigger 90/135watt power supplies and 50% higher capacity batteries. So likely designed as a power-saving compromise.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    It might help if you could reveal your full ACER model number. For example AN515-54G? Or E514-52G?

Jack E/NJ

• vilsar
    ACER Aspire 3 A315-57G
  • JackE
    It should not be throttling or freezing at temperatures below about 95*C in normal fan mode if battery is near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting gaming loads. Check the advanced settings link in your power plan  and make sure the maximum processor states are set to at least 90%.

Jack E/NJ

• vilsar
    Always plugged in when starting games and maximum processor states 100 %. The temperature of the video card is limited to 75 ° C  (in the screenshot) how can I fix this? My other Asus laptop with a discrete Nvidia 840M graphics card has a normal 90 ° C graphics card limit (in the screenshot).

• JackE
    A few successful reports of using msi-afterburner and gpu-tweak 2&3 on different models with discrete nvidia gpus.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

Ideal GPU temperatures range from 65 to 85°C (149 to 185°F) under normal use conditions, such as while gaming.
  • vilsar
    JackE said:
    A few successful reports of using msi-afterburner and gpu-tweak 2&3 on different models with discrete nvidia gpus.
    Thanks. I saw it too. This is the only option. Did the manufacturer do it in bios? What for? Or is it his fault? Then a new bios is needed.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Not considered a gaming laptop. Gaming laptops usually have bigger 90/135watt power supplies and 50% higher capacity batteries. So likely designed as a power-saving compromise.

Jack E/NJ

• DragoSpiro98
    DragoSpiro98 Member Posts: 1 New User

I find it quite ridiculous to limit the maximum temperature without giving the possibility to unlock it without using software like Msi Afterburner or similar. Because otherwise it means that the video card in these laptops is useless since in idle they already reach temperatures close to 75°C (In my case is about 65°C) going into thermal throttling. Or is it just a way to scam consumers by paying more for a video card that is not suitable for the laptop's cooling system, thus making it absolutely unusable?

• JackE

Sorry, in this price range, even if it could be overclocked, discrete GPU performance & power is less than in true gamers costing 2-3x as much. But it still outperforms the integrated GPU & should be adequate for games & apps with low to medium graphics demands.

Jack E/NJ