Acer Chromebook Spin 713 cp714-3w-5102 microSD reader not accepting 128 GB Micro SDXC card

Options
2»

Answers

• bugsyii
    bugsyii Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Whoa, thanks for the validation!  At least I'm not going nuts.  
    I assume the SD card you're using is SDXC, is that correct?  I have a 32GB (probably SDHC) card in my phone that may find a new home in the Chromebook, but I'd prefer a 64GB if I can get it.
    For the future, it does sound like something that might be correctable in firmware. Here's hoping.
    Thanks, 
    bugsy
  • bugsyii

Tinkerer

Options
    One more thing - is that card formatted FAT32 or exFAT?  From what I read, it must be exFAT?
  • timmcd
    timmcd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm seeing the same behavior on my Spin 713  (CP713-3W-5102)  with a Lexar 512GB  (1066x microSDXC UHS-1) formatted exFAT.  Card reads fine on PC and on the chromebook with an external Lexar Workflow SR2 reader, but not recognized on the built in microSD reader.  I see the same behavior (works external, broken internal) for a SanDisk Ultra 256GB microSDXC UHS-1  Looks to me like this is a design flaw of the Spin 713.  
  • bugsyii

Tinkerer

edited February 2022
    Options
    What's the largest capacity microSD card anyone is using successfully in the MicroSD slot?  Format?  Manufacturer?

I've successfully used a 16GB SDHC formatted FAT32.

• FgIrwin
    FgIrwin Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have a new Spin713 and new SanDisk 64 GB Extreme micro card I bought for it was not recognized by the machine. The machine recommended reformatting the card, but then refused to reformat it. This is really irritating. Has anyone found a solution? I really want backup my data to an external drive. 
  • bugsyii

Tinkerer

edited February 2022
    Options
    OK, here's one that works:
    Samsung EVO Plus 64 GB.  Dropped right in, no special installation, no reformatting.  It's on the list of approved cards above, and it works.  Writes to it are pretty quick, reads from it not so quick, but not bad.
    So now it's a 64 GB limit or a problem with some SanDisk cards; take your pick.  Note that there is a SanDisk on the "Passed" list: SanDisk Micro SDXC Ultra 64GB Class4 15MB/s 100x. 
    No sales hype, but I bought my Samsung card here.
    Please leave a comment if you have a 128 or 256 GB card that you are using successfully in a CP713-3W-5102. Personally tested only please, no catalog entries.
    Me, I'm sticking with the 64GB until someone finds a 128 or 256GB or bigger that really works in this Chromebook.  I've wasted enough time and money already.
  • FgIrwin
    Options
    I took my machine back to Best Buy an “Agent” changed a setting, I asked what he changed and he said I don’t know, I did what the machine suggested or something like that. At that point the issue is to use a slow card. The machine can’t recognize fast cards. Using a card in a UBS adapter like comes with the card slows cards down and they got a faster card to work that way. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful about what the Agents did, but the Samsung EVO Plus 64 GB recommended above now works in my machine and my Google Drive files are now backed up! 
  • FgIrwin
    Options
    I’ve had the same problem getting my microcard reader to work. The solution is to use a slow card, it doesn’t recognize fast cards. Putting a fast card in an adapter and plugging it into another slot often slows the fast card down enough to work. This was Best Buy’s Agent solution. Sorry I can’t be more technical. 
  • hubthetub
    hubthetub Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Been following as have had the same prob, just purchased a Samsung Evo plus 128gb. ( White and blue card) 
    Works .....recognised on install and reformatted to fat32 as presented in options.
    Amazon UK (blue and white) card about £8.75.......Sandisc is the issue me thinks as I tried several 64gb ones all new and no go.