Regarding My Acer Veriton M265

ArielSchnee333
ArielSchnee333 Member Posts: 3 New User
I have an "Acer Veriton M265". It's using Win XP Pro With SP3 32-bit. It's also in very bad condition now.

What I want to know is, where I can get another one?

I want another one (in good condition) so I can put the harddrive, NVDIA Video Card, memory, and 265 W Power Supply I have in this one in the other one.

I thought the problem was the power supply. But, I just installed a new one. ... It's acting even worse now. The fan revving at high speeds, weird noises, etc.. Then it just cuts off. I know it's not the power supply since I just replaced it with a brand new Corsair Modular 650 Watt one today.

I think the capacitors on the motherboard might be bad. This computer is old. I bought it back in 2010.

I need a new one. An Acer Veriton M265. Or, if that's not possible, then one that I can swap the stuff out with. And that is compatible with Win XP. And that has the right slot for my NVIDIA Video Card.

If anyone knows where I can get a new Acer Veriton M265, let me know. If that's not possible, let me know which computer currently available is compatible with Win XP. And that I can swap my stuff out to.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can find either model and swap parts as needed. I'd try venues like eBay and Craigslist, but it's old enough that it might still be hard to find. If nothing else it should be cheap if you can find one. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @ArielSchnee333

Is there any specific reason that you must use such old PC and old OS? I know it is easy to get same model and probably just swapping the HDD and get it running again. However, I believe there are more disadvantages than advantages.

1) HDD speed: Mechanical HDDs are just way too slow in today's standard. Your old PC probably takes minutes to bootup. Modern PCs, even using PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD is like 20+ times faster than mechanical HDD.

2) CPU speed: Current entry level PCs having CPUs like 4-10 times faster than the CPUs of the Win XP era. Paired with M.2 NVMe SSD will bring bootup time typically less than half minute, maybe just 10 seconds for some.

3) Up to Date Bowser and Software: It had been years that my Google Chrome Bowser (and other bowsers too) notified me that the bowser will no longer support updating the Vista OS, your Win XP is even older, and the support will just be the same. Microsoft stopped supporting Win XP too years ago, so there are no more security updates, and your PC will be more vulnerable to hacker attacks and identity thieves.

Personally I retain some old programs and games dated back up to the DOS/Win 95 era. Most of them can still be run with my modern PCs under virtue environment. So, if doesn't mean you have to give up all your old programs with new PC. 

Trust me, you will appreciate how much time you save every year with the modern Pcs. I'll suggest backing up all your current data with an external HDD and change to a modern PC, even an entry level one.
  • ArielSchnee333
    ttttt said:
    @ArielSchnee333

Is there any specific reason that you must use such old PC and old OS? I know it is easy to get same model and probably just swapping the HDD and get it running again. However, I believe there are more disadvantages than advantages.

1) HDD speed: Mechanical HDDs are just way too slow in today's standard. Your old PC probably takes minutes to bootup. Modern PCs, even using PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD is like 20+ times faster than mechanical HDD.

2) CPU speed: Current entry level PCs having CPUs like 4-10 times faster than the CPUs of the Win XP era. Paired with M.2 NVMe SSD will bring bootup time typically less than half minute, maybe just 10 seconds for some.

3) Up to Date Bowser and Software: It had been years that my Google Chrome Bowser (and other bowsers too) notified me that the bowser will no longer support updating the Vista OS, your Win XP is even older, and the support will just be the same. Microsoft stopped supporting Win XP too years ago, so there are no more security updates, and your PC will be more vulnerable to hacker attacks and identity thieves.

Personally I retain some old programs and games dated back up to the DOS/Win 95 era. Most of them can still be run with my modern PCs under virtue environment. So, if doesn't mean you have to give up all your old programs with new PC. 

Trust me, you will appreciate how much time you save every year with the modern Pcs. I'll suggest backing up all your current data with an external HDD and change to a modern PC, even an entry level one.
    I have a Win 7 64-bit PC. The XP one is for old games, and stuff. As for why I want to swap the stuff.

(01). I lost the installation disk for the NVIDIA Video Card. So I need to swap the Video Card -and- HD if I want the drivers for the Video Card.

(02). I lost my RP Maker VX Ace disk. The only copy I have of it is on the HD.

(03). There's lots of registry information (games, programs, etc.) that I would loose if I didn't swap the HD.

(04). I need the old XP HD because -a- -lot- of my old email (going back to the 90s) with important license key info needs Outlook Express 6 to be viewed now. OE6 does not work on anything higher than XP.

I hope that those reasons satisfy you.

EDIT:

Just found a refurbished Acer Veriton M275 for sale online now. Does anyone know if it's close enough to the M265 to be worth buying? It won't be much use if it doesn't have the right slot for the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card.

Let me know.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Get the 3.5" ArielSchnee333 said:
    ttttt said:
    @ArielSchnee333

I have a Win 7 64-bit PC. The XP one is for old games, and stuff. As for why I want to swap the stuff.

(01). I lost the installation disk for the NVIDIA Video Card. So I need to swap the Video Card -and- HD if I want the drivers for the Video Card.

(02). I lost my RP Maker VX Ace disk. The only copy I have of it is on the HD.

(03). There's lots of registry information (games, programs, etc.) that I would loose if I didn't swap the HD.

(04). I need the old XP HD because -a- -lot- of my old email (going back to the 90s) with important license key info needs Outlook Express 6 to be viewed now. OE6 does not work on anything higher than XP.

I hope that those reasons satisfy you.

EDIT:

Just found a refurbished Acer Veriton M275 for sale online now. Does anyone know if it's close enough to the M265 to be worth buying? It won't be much use if it doesn't have the right slot for the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Video Card.

Let me know.

The Veriton M275 and P265 are basically the same and have the same slots for VGA cards as both can accomodate the highest spec OEM CPU of the Intel LGA775 socket the Core 2 Quad Q9650 that is a 4 core, 4 threads 3.0GHz, L2 cache of 12MB at FSB 1333MHz band but the differences between these two models are as follows:
    • Veriton M275 had a top OEM VGA of the NVIDIA GT320 1GB sDDR3 DVI+HDMI+VGA ATX (HYNIX) or the Radeon HD 4350 VGA and a higher spec memory of up to 4GB DDR3-1066MHz RAM into its 2x slots, while the 
    • Veriton M265 came with the same CPU but its top of the range OEM VGA's were either the "GEFORCE 9600GT 512MB DDR 3 (256 BITS) DUAL DVI HDTV NTSC ATX BARCKET ROHS or the Radeon HD3850 1GB DDRIII Dual DVI/TV-OUT" and its RAM is 4GB max into its 2x slots and it can only accomodate up to DDR2-800MHz type RAM, 
    Both of these models are specified to work with:
    • Windows 7 Home Premium (X86/ X64) 
    • Windows 7 HB X86  
    • Windows 7 Professional (X86/ X64) 
    • Windows Vista Business X86 
    • XP Professional 
    • Free DOS
    • Linpus X-Window. 
  • ArielSchnee333
    StevenGen said:
    Get the 3.5" ArielSchnee333 said:

The Veriton M275 and P265 are basically the same and have the same slots for VGA cards as both can accomodate the highest spec OEM CPU of the Intel LGA775 socket the Core 2 Quad Q9650 that is a 4 core, 4 threads 3.0GHz, L2 cache of 12MB at FSB 1333MHz band but the differences between these two models are as follows:
    • Veriton M275 had a top OEM VGA of the NVIDIA GT320 1GB sDDR3 DVI+HDMI+VGA ATX (HYNIX) or the Radeon HD 4350 VGA and a higher spec memory of up to 4GB DDR3-1066MHz RAM into its 2x slots, while the 
    • Veriton M265 came with the same CPU but its top of the range OEM VGA's were either the "GEFORCE 9600GT 512MB DDR 3 (256 BITS) DUAL DVI HDTV NTSC ATX BARCKET ROHS or the Radeon HD3850 1GB DDRIII Dual DVI/TV-OUT" and its RAM is 4GB max into its 2x slots and it can only accomodate up to DDR2-800MHz type RAM, 

I don't understand what that means. So, can I get the M275 and just swap things? Will that work? I only have 3 GB in this one now. XP can't work well with any more than that.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can find either model and swap parts as needed. I'd try venues like eBay and Craigslist, but it's old enough that it might still be hard to find. If nothing else it should be cheap if you can find one. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.