Aspire R5-471T-52FK, Touchscreen driver not listed on Acer support website

GeoffRamsay
GeoffRamsay Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My Aspire R5 notebook's touchscreen has stopped working after a Windows 10 update.  It has disappeared from the Device Manager's HCI device list (is not just 'hidden').  I assume this is a driver problem, but I cannot reinstall the driver because it is not listed on the notebook model's Acer support webpage.  Which driver should I be using, and where can I get a copy? Model is R5-471T-52FK, 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Use the automatic restore point made by the Win10 update. If it fixes the problem we can temporarily block the update from re-installing till a future update fixes it.

Jack E/NJ

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @GeoffRamsay
    Could you please tell me modern name of unit 
  • GeoffRamsay

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Notebook is an Acer Aspire R14, part number R5-471T-52FK,
    The notebook was used by my daughter and the problem started a few months ago in the middle of her exams.  It was still useable without the touchscreen, so the problem was ignored and it is now too late to try a restore.
  • JackE
    Shut Windows down normally. Turn machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. An ACER OEM factory reset should be appear to allow you to refresh the system while trying to save personal information or an erase-everything full factory system reset. The latter is preferred. If the touchscreen still doesn't work, then it's a likely hardware issue. Probably the video cable has developed wire breaks in the hinge area due to wear and tear of opening closing the lid too much. Replacement cables are fairly inexpensive usually less than about $25

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
  • GeoffRamsay

Tinkerer

JackE - thanks for the hint about trying a factory reset.  I was also worried about a possible cable fault, but I did not know you could replace the cable separately from the screen.  How difficult is the replacement ?  I have worked on many laptops/notebooks, but I have never dismantled a screen.  Can you provide a link to instructions ?
    Easwar, thank you for the link, but that just takes me to the usual Acer driver list which does not seem to include a touchscreen driver.  Maybe the driver is bundled with one of those listed, but that is not clear.
  • JackE
    The touchscreen LCD cable part no. is 50.G7TN5.007. Google search the part no. for vendors who ship to your location. Amazon has them.

I'm not sure about the level of difficulty as you would first only need to have access to the cable connectors at the screen base and mainboard to re-seat them a few times to help clean their contact and see if that resolves the problem. The screen bezel and keyboard or top cover usually need to be popped off for this.

To see what you're up against, remove 12 screws from the bottom cover and pry it apart from the top cover with a credit card wedge. Immediately disconnect the battery from the mainboard to avoid releasing any smoke. Also use the credit card to pry the screen bezel off. The flimsy plastic might crack but usually nothing that scotch tape can't handle. Beyond this, perhaps the best instructions are youtube videos by google searching the keywords 'r5-471t' 'disassembly'

Jack E/NJ

• GeoffRamsay

Tinkerer

Hi @JackE
    Thanks for your help on this - I now know the repair will be easier and cheaper than I feared.  I'm certain that this is a cable problem because the cursor  dances about when you rotate the screen.  My daughter has now headed away with the laptop to work at a zoo in the Channel Islands for a year, so she's going to find a computer shop that can fix it in the knowledge that the repair not likely to empty her bank account.  Unfortunately my query to the Acer Community was too late for me to get the bits and fix it myself  - my daughter does art and animals but not techie repairs...  

• JackE
    Zoo's probably got an IT department to take care of it.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• GeoffRamsay

Tinkerer

If its like my business's IT department it'll be staffed by monkeys.  If that fails, there seem to be several computer repair shops in St Helier.  You've hopefully saved me the cost of a new tablet/laptop. Again, many thanks !