iconia w4-820 fixed, after not being able to do so for several years.

Options
clefurgey
clefurgey Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Tablets
Hi, everyone.
I recently got my iconia w4-820 fixed, after not being able to do so for several years.
The guy doing the repairs was able to put windows 10 on the tablet, though he claimed it's not made for ten.
Anyway, he said there were some drivers missing, but wasn't specific about what they were.
Everything seems to be working fine, except that I have to use bluetooth headphones with the tablet because no sound comes out of my speakers or headphone jack. I'm totally blind, so having more than one option for sound is kind of important.
I downloaded the latest 32-bit driver package from the Acer site, but now don't know what to do next. i'm capable of installing things, but given how long it took to get the tablet fixed, this is not something I want to screw up.
Also there was a bios update listed which I grabbed, but don't know if that's something I need to install or not. Again, this is not something I want to screw up, especially since I've heard that bios upgrades are super risky if you don't know what you're doing.
Any advice or help with these two issues would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also looking for a new case or cover, since mine is falling apart. I'd like one with a keyboard by preference, but it's not a deal breaker.
Again, any advice or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks for reading, and for any help anyone can give.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    IIRC there are two driver packages on the Acer support site for your W4-820. They are both for Windows 8.1 32bit, but can be installed in Windows 10 32bit using compatibility mode. I can't image why your technician didn't do that for you...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • clefurgey

Tinkerer

Options
    I have no idea. The tablet works fine with bluetooth headphones, but if those happen to die or don't work for whatever other reason, I'd like to have a backup option that doesn't involve trying to find a sighted person to reconnect things.
    The drivers I downloaded were listed under windows 10, I figured I'd better grab those since 10 is what was put on the tablet.
    Like I said i'm able to install things myself provided it's just a standard windows installer, but I'm just a bit paranoid given how long getting this thing fixed took.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, often with these older models the only updated drivers for some of the hardware is what's provided over the Windows Update process. You have to have the original drivers installed, the WU sees them and does needed updates. If you haven't got the 8.1 drivers installed, it isn't smart enough to get the job done.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • clefurgey

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Oddly, I do appear to have drivers installed, though I have no idea if they're the right versions.
    I also seem to have two different sets of audio devices, though one just says audio inputs/outputs, so I have no idea.
    I also have an unknown device, along with some kind of PC encryption thing listed under other devices, but neither of them have drivers installed and I can't tell what they are to check myself.
    I'll copy/paste my system info and driver properties below. I'm sorry this is going to get long, but I don't know how to do screenshots. I hope someone can tell me what this stuff is/how to fix it.

Windows info

Edition    Windows 10 Home
    Version    21H1
    Installed on    ‎2019-‎12-‎07
    OS build    19043.1237
    Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Audio drivers

Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)
    Driver Provider:
    Intel
    Driver Date:
    2015-08-04
    Driver Version:

Realtek I2S Audio Codec
    Driver Provider:
    REALTEK
    Driver Date:
    2015-08-04
    Driver Version:

now for the unknown devices

PCI encryption/decryption controller
    device IDs, there are four listed:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&SUBSYS_0F188086&REV_09
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&SUBSYS_0F188086
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&CC_108000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&CC_1080

second unknown device:

IDS, there are three:
    ACPI\VEN_INT&DEV_3400
    ACPI\INT3400
    *INT3400

Again, I'm sorry that got so long, but I don't know how to do screenshots.
    If anyone needs more info let me know, though you'll probably have to tel me what to look for.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheryl
  • billsey
    Options
    It's normal to have both the Intel SST and Realtek Audio stuff, they work in concert with each other.
    The first unknown device is the Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface and you can likely find the driver for that on Intel's site if the Platform Drivers on Acer's site don't install it for you, remember on Acer's support page the drivers are in the two packages under the Windows 8.1 32bit OS.
    The second unknown device is the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. Drivers should also be on Intel's site but they should be installed from the Acer site as well when you do the package.
    Once the driver have all been installed, Windows Update should handle any needed updates from there.
  • clefurgey

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey,

Wow, I'm surprised you were able to figure out what those devices were, I thought for sure I'd need to give more info.
    So all I need to do is download the 32 bit windows 8.1 driver packages? Would I need a bios upgrade or anything?

Can you tell me what to download exactly and how to run everything? I've never installed anything in compatibility mode before. Heard of it yes, understand why/how it does what it does, not so much.
    Is there an order I need to run things in?
    Basically step by step instructions would be super helpful, I don't usually do anything with drivers etc and am afraid I'll screw something up.
    Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
    PS, is the version of windows I have the latest the tablet can run? I'd guess so given how old it is, but thought I'd ask anyway.
  • billsey
    Options
    If you go to the W4-820 support page (Acer; Support; Drivers; W4-820) and select Windows 8.1 32bit as the OS, there will be two installers under the drivers tab. Start with the Master Installer and run the Setup.exe file after extracting the zip file (don't run it within the zip, extract first). It looks like that is just an updated set from the previous file, so you should be good to go after that install finishes. It will likely want a reboot...
  • clefurgey

Tinkerer

Options
    So I download the master installer, extract it, then do what to make it cooperate with 10? I mean, I can't just run the file as normal I wouldn't think, since the OS is different.
    Also you said the master installer should be the only thing I need to run, everything should be good after that. Am I right?
    Thanks again for answering what are probably repetitive questions.
  • billsey
    Options
    I haven't tested, but I would expect it will either install normally, you will have to install using compatibility mode, or you will have to extract and install each driver in compatibility mode. Try the first option first. If that doesn't work right click on the Setup.exe file and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll dig into installing each driver manually.
  • clefurgey

Tinkerer

Options
    It actually installed normally, which surprised me.
    My wifi drivers mysteriously went MIA briefly a bit ago, but things seem to be working again.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, there are 'issues' with newer Windows updates that sometimes make internal USB ports disappear or corrupt data. Either will give weird symptoms like that and they usually clear up after a bit.