Acer Predator Helios 300 - Keyboard already wearing out

Options
tampaite1653
tampaite1653 Member Posts: 4 New User
Bought Acer Predator Helios 300 last August and within few months, the keys were starting to wear out and over the past few months about 8-9 keys are completely work to the point, I've used market to write the letters.
Anyway, i reached out to Acer earlier last week and they said laptop is no longer under warranty and it will cost $949 to fix it.

I was lazy enough not to send the laptop to repair early on but c'mon 900 bucks to replace keyboard plus the Toshibha laptop purchased 10 years ago, they keys are still bright like daylight.

How and where can I order new keyboard or can I order just the individual keys?

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @tampaite1653 Try to get a new replacement keyboard by finding with your model number(e.g PH315-XX). Take the keys that have been worn out and replace with the new ones. This kind of keyboard has ABS plastic key caps so the led backlit can penetrate through them, but they tend to wear out faster than the PBT plastic keycaps on your old laptop.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• tampaite1653
    Options

Attached the keys
  • geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Attached the keys
    That's just ridicolous, You have probably paid more than 1200$ for this laptop, and the keys are  already fading: that should simply not happen, I would suggest you to buy a whole spare keyboard and replace the keys you need, rather than order singles keys that would be more expensive 
  • tampaite1653
    Options
    Do you know where I can buy an exact spare keyboard? Not sure if there is a part number that I need to lookup.
  • geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Do you know where I can buy an exact spare keyboard? Not sure if there is a part number that I need to lookup.
    Actually, you could have a look to Ebay serching for:  for ACER Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 PH317-53 PH317-53-7777 Keyboard US BACKLIT.
    But don't even think about just replacing the whole keyboard because it would be a real hassle  ...
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,771 Pathfinder
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    @tampaite1653 Try to get a new replacement keyboard by finding with your model number(e.g PH315-XX). Take the keys that have been worn out and replace with the new ones. This kind of keyboard has ABS plastic key caps so the led backlit can penetrate through them, but they tend to wear out faster than the PBT plastic keycaps on your old laptop.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • tampaite1653
    Options
    Thanks for your help/suggestions!
  • crafty618
    crafty618 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Attached the keys
    You can just pull the keys out and replace them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWRDs2yWTog. The video has a link to this website to purchase https://www.quikfixlaptopkeys.com/. In my case due to liquid damage I have to replace the whole keyboard since I damaged like 4 keys. I could sell you my key caps lmk if you are interested.