How do I actually disable the keyboard backlight timeout? Acer TravelMate P614-51T

2»

Answers

• billsey said:
    Has the motherboard been replaced or does it have a non-standard BIOS image installed?
    Can you submit a photo of the INFORMATION tab in the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • 3464mustang
    3464mustang Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2021
    @billsey, I really don't know which board is installed, since I bought a second-hand laptop. I think the original board is installed there.

@why00why, keep calm, I think someone here will help solve this problem, since for other acer laptops it was solved by updating the BIOS =) We should wait some time =)

Here is a photo of my BIOS settings (latest available version):

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,592 Trailblazer
    So, the misconfiguration is likely in Windows. Either the Windows installed has been cloned off a different laptop or it's be reinstalled using the wrong recovery image. Best would be to reinstall from either a fresh install flash drive or from the recovery image for your P614-51T. Once you have the correct OS on it fixing the rest should be easier... Though that doesn't mean the BIOS supports disabling the keyboard backlight timeout.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey said:
    So, the misconfiguration is likely in Windows. Either the Windows installed has been cloned off a different laptop or it's be reinstalled using the wrong recovery image. Best would be to reinstall from either a fresh install flash drive or from the recovery image for your P614-51T. Once you have the correct OS on it fixing the rest should be easier... Though that doesn't mean the BIOS supports disabling the keyboard backlight timeout.
    I suggest he send a screenshot or photo of the main tab as well. Perhaps pressing ctrl+s will bring up some hidden functions.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • 3464mustang
    edited October 2021
    @billsey, I recently reinstalled Windows 10 and now it is not detected at all (I also attached a screenshot. By the way, in the lower right corner you can see the problem with the sound). But you're right, it really doesn't solve the BIOS issues.: there is still no shutdown time setting))) So how can I get a recovery image for my P614-51T (I don't have a Windows restore point).
    I have a few more problems with this laptop:
    1) strange high-frequency sound during operation and in sleep mode (there is no sound in hibernation mode or in the off state. And it's not a cooler. I checked it, lubricated it - the sound comes from some other place.);
    2) there is no backlight of the "Space" key (attached photo);
    3) there is no sound (it is not possible to find the necessary driver). Initially, the sound worked, but the volume level was always 100%. That is, the adjustment slider changed its value, but the volume level was equally high (maximum). Now it doesn't work at all =(I thought it wasn't related, but now it seems different to me.

@egydiocoelho, I initially followed your advice. I pressed ctrl+s, but nothing happened. You advised this in the first answer, and I immediately tried it, but it didn't give any result. Now I have attached a photo of the "Main" bookmark of my BIOS.

• I believe the previous windows image was not correct for your computer. About the keyboard issue, try this again:
    a) download predator sense again.
    b) go to the plugs folder and change the name Predator PH315-52 to TravelMate P614-51T and run the installation.
    c) check if this function appears:

About the problem with the sound, is there any driver with problems in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• 3464mustang
    I did it again and had the same result. Could you tell me, how I can run PredatorSence?
    About the sound problem: yes, I see one issue in device manager, but I cannot see audio-devices in device manager.

I can also select "display hidden devices" on the view tab, but this does not give any tangible results (

• ivan_ta
    ivan_ta Member Posts: 5 New User
    I believe the previous windows image was not correct for your computer. About the keyboard issue, try this again:
    b) go to the plugs folder and change the name Predator PH315-52 to TravelMate P614-51T and run the installation.

About the problem with the sound, is there any driver with problems in the device manager?
    Hi egydiocoelho,

I apologize but this comment is not relate to this topic. I don't how to inbox directly to you. However, I believe you are the professional about Predator laptop. I just post a topic, it's about why my GPU overclock is not loading and how to fix it. It is my pleasure that you look through my topic and see if can help me to fix it.

Thank you,

Ivan

• ivan_ta said:
    I believe the previous windows image was not correct for your computer. About the keyboard issue, try this again:

Hi egydiocoelho,

I apologize but this comment is not relate to this topic. I don't how to inbox directly to you. However, I believe you are the professional about Predator laptop. I just post a topic, it's about why my GPU overclock is not loading and how to fix it. It is my pleasure that you look through my topic and see if can help me to fix it.

Thank you,

Ivan

I think it is possible to install Predator Sense on the TravelMate by making some modifications.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    @ivan_ta , I believe the confusion is due to you not starting a new topic for your question. This thread is about disabling the keyboard backlight timeout on a TravelMate P614-51T laptop. PredatorSense is an application that can sometimes be tweaked to install on a non-Predator system, giving control to some functions that aren't normally exposed to the user. Why don't you start a new topic (Use the Ask a Question button) for your issue? Include your full model number, the issue you are seeing and what you have tried so far. Then we can focus on your issue without distractions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 3464mustang
    edited October 2021
    So, how I could run PredatorSense to check if it solve the problem?
    Today I downloaded the official audio drivers from the acer website, but this did not solve the problem. But it seems to me that it is better to create a separate theme for this.
  • why00why
    why00why Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2021
    I read some of these posts here and in my humble opinion this is laughable. I do not mean any offense to the actual people behind this, but I personally disagree with pretty much every attempt at solving this and most of what is said here. Allow me to explain myself.

I reinstalled windows 10 clean and downloaded every single driver from this page: https://www.acer.com/ac/de/AT/content/support-product/5825?b=1&pn=NX.VAFEG.007

In my case for the TravelMate 645 S. That's all I should be required to do, there is no such thing as "correct image" if this is the official .iso from the microsoft website it is correct. Is the correct image the one that came with this laptop? If yes, what would I do if I ever have to reinstall windows for any reason, including failed updates that are beyond my control? Accept that the hardware stops working right forever? It should always be possible to go back to full working order from any clean, official windows installation using the OEM provided drivers and software, given that they are provided.

This:

"PredatorSense is an application that can sometimes be tweaked to install on a non-Predator system, giving control to some functions that aren't normally exposed to the user."

Ok. If I own the specific hardware model and standard functions (yes, keyboard light is a standard function, as well as it is an advertised feature) aren't "exposed" to me then the manufacturer made a ridiculous mistake and no one is required to fix that by modyfing software made for different models. End of story. If this is acceptable to you, you're a dream customer, might as well go ahead and re-code some of the drives that Acer failed to program correctly. None of that is ok and I won't act like it is.

And: 

"Once you have the correct OS on it fixing the rest should be easier"

Windows is the correct OS. Pretend I have the "correct OS", what would I do to disable the keyboard backlight timeout on it? If you know how it'd be easier, name and explain the solutions. According to my basic research they do not exist and I would really like to be wrong here. A part of me still wants this to work.

If I am not correct that it simply DOES NOT WORK please show me any Acer TravelMate Laptop that does in fact allow for the timeout to be disabled. Brand new, out of sealed box, untouched OS, all latest updates from Acer. Would it be possible? 

My guess is no, which is backed by this post I found:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555678/aspire-5-a515-52g-disable-keyboard-backlight-timeout/p2

Acer said:

A "Keyboard Lighting Timeout" function has been implemented for the following models only: 

...Followed by a list that doesn't include this model. And if I have the right understanding of english, the word "only" means that they simply forgot the TravelMate series, so no update for the backlight timeout exists and you simply can't get controls for it on this PC in a legit way. 

Without any official way to do this, there is no "correct OS" Acer TravelMate in existence where the desired feature is available.

The modifications do not count. The blame on the user for having to reinstall windows do not count. The manufacturer failed to make this available and continues to do so. I challenge anyone to address these points and prove otherwise.

I made this post because I don't think that blaming the issue on a new windows install or suggesting to rename this other software is appropriate. I have seen and used other laptops from other brands that don't have these issues. I will go ahead and save money for one of these. 

I'd still be thankful for a post that does provide a legitimate solution. It's of no use to discuss what we have installed or done if it isn't possible to get the feature in the first place, even on a perfect laptop. Once we have evidence that these settings do exist and could theoretically be obtained in a legit way on this laptop model, then it becomes relevant why our individual laptops don't have them and how we can fix it. 
  • billsey
    If you read the rest of this thread there are instructions for installing PredatorSense on a non-Predator machine. It doesn't always work, and when it does it doesn't always give the type of access needed, but it's more likely to work than some other potential solutions. And yes, it would be better to create a new thread for your issue so we can work with known parameters...
  • 3464mustang
    So, but what about me? I have followed all instructions and still can`t run PredatorSense. I have reinstalled Win 10 from official Microsoft site and Win 10 don`t recognize it as Swift, but nothing... 

Maybe will be better to ask developers to release new BIOS-version for TravelMate? So, could someone tell, how I can bring my problem to the developers and get an official answer?

P.S. I have solved problems with audio with downgrading version my Audio driver (why acer release officials drivers which doesn`t work correctly..?)
  • billsey
    @3464mustang is your model number still screwed up, or did we finally get it correct? It is possible that you just can't install PredatorSense on your model, since it is designed for the Predator machines, not others.