Can't switch to AHCI mode in Windows 10, Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-53

Options
SirAlmond
SirAlmond Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited September 2021 in Predator Laptops
I got a new Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 laptop and I'm trying to dual boot it with Ubuntu. I can't install Ubuntu because it says it doesn't support RST, i.e. the RAID 0 storage that the laptop came with.
So I tried to switch to AHCI mode, using a couple of guides.
First, Ubuntu's guide https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/ which says to change a few registry keys:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\ Start to zero (was already zero)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV\ StartOverride to zero (was 3)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\ Start to zero (was already zero)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\ StartOverride to zero (was 3) 
Then, reboot and change to AHCI in the BIOS (which I did, after pressing CTRL+S in the main screen).
This didn't work, it makes the Predator loading screen pop up a few times and then says "no bootable device".

Second guide, was for this forum https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/961768/#Comment_961768
I did all steps and it also failed the same way.

Third, I tried combining the two (because the registry edits reset after every reboot, so I set them back to zero while in safe boot mode after deleting the controller). Also failed in the same way.

Right now I have no other ideas other than reinstall Windows all together, which I'm trying to avoid.
I'm attaching a picture of the BIOS for more info of my setup.

@egydiocoelho

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    As you may already know microsoft forced all manufacturers to remove the legacy mode from all bios so no one could downgrade OS or use any other different one than win 10/11 its a way of locking users devices into it im not really sure if ahci even works on any new devices but good luck :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• SirAlmond
    Options
    @egydiocoelho can you please help?
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Options
    @SirAlmond the SATA option is hidden in the main tab of the BIOS (the 2nd tab). Pressing CTRL+S will show it.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • SirAlmond
    Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @SirAlmond the SATA option is hidden in the main tab of the BIOS (the 2nd tab). Pressing CTRL+S will show it.
    This is not the issue.
    When I change to AHCI (after pressing CTRL+S), Windows 10 does not boot
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Options
    @SirAlmond yes, sorry to mention you that you have to go to safe mode after changing SATA option. You can go to the safe mode by force shutdown the laptop 3 times. It will automatically go to preparing automatic repair.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • StevenGen
    Options
    SirAlmond said:

Try this guide "Dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 - with RST issue fixed" as it explains it very well. 

• SirAlmond
    Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @SirAlmond yes, sorry to mention you that you have to go to safe mode after changing SATA option. You can go to the safe mode by force shutdown the laptop 3 times. It will automatically go to preparing automatic repair.

AnhEZ28 said:
    Safe mode doesn't help either
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you press ctrl+i before the acer logo, does any function appear? Can you send a screenshot of the configuration that appears in intel rapid storage?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SirAlmond
    edited September 2021
    Options
    When you press ctrl+i before the acer logo, does any function appear? Can you send a screenshot of the configuration that appears in intel rapid storage?
    What do you mean ctrl+i before the acer logo? Do you mean while booting, before the predator logo? I pressed ctrl+i many times now and nothing happened.
    About the rapid storage config:

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Options
    OK! First back up the files and also the operating system, here. Type RECOVERY in cortana:

It is necessary to use a 16gb usb stick. Once you have backed up the operating system, use another 16gb drive and download the windows 10 iso here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    Then restart windows, access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci. Then start the windows installation by usb stick. When you're in windows installation, press shift+f10 and type these commands:diskpartlist volsel vol xdelete volume
    It is important to know that this procedure will erase both drives. Then check if the two units are separated
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SirAlmond
    Options
    OK! First back up the files and also the operating system, here. Type RECOVERY in cortana:

It is necessary to use a 16gb usb stick. Once you have backed up the operating system, use another 16gb drive and download the windows 10 iso here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Then restart windows, access the bios and change the sata mode to ahci. Then start the windows installation by usb stick. When you're in windows installation, press shift+f10 and type these commands:
    diskpart
    list vol
    sel vol x
    delete volume

It is important to know that this procedure will erase both drives. Then check if the two units are separated
    OK, so after I do this I will need to reinstall Windows using the USB stick with the ISO and then also restore it from the other USB stick?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You will be able to reinstall the stock windows provided by acer. The windows iso will only serve to erase the two hard drives.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SirAlmond
    Options
    You will be able to reinstall the stock windows provided by acer. The windows iso will only serve to erase the two hard drives.
    OK, in this case I think I can erase the two hard drives with Ubuntu boot USB stick instead of the Windows ISO USB stick, right?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Perhaps. Linux has difficulty identifying drives that are configured in raid. I would use windows iso.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SirAlmond
    Options
    Perhaps. Linux has difficulty identifying drives that are configured in raid. I would use windows iso.
    Thank you (and everyone), I will try this. Cheers
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Then post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SirAlmond
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SirAlmond said:

Try this guide "Dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 - with RST issue fixed" as it explains it very well. 

I followed the guide and it doesn't work - Windows doesn't boot after changing to AHCI
  • SirAlmond
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SirAlmond said:

I followed this guide and it doesn't work - Windows won't boot after changing to AHCI
  • SirAlmond
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SirAlmond said:

I followed this guide and it doesn't work - Windows won't boot after changing to AHCI
  • SirAlmond
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    SirAlmond said:

I tried this, doesn't work, Windows won't boot after changing to AHCI