My aspire Z3-715 will display external computer but won't switch one itself

Options
Fromsons68
Fromsons68 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in All-In-One PCs
The  aspire Z3-715 is fine when displaying externally connected computer via HDMI yet it won't power up itself

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Press FN+F5 or FN+F6 to toggle laptop screen on and off.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @Fromsons68,

Are you getting any light indication when you try to turn on the aspire Z3-715 alone.
  • Fromsons68

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @Easwar,
    No the aspire does not look like it is getting any light indication when I try to turn it on.
  • JackE
    Options
    Please try pressing FN+F5 or FN+F6 to toggle laptop screen on and off.

Jack E/NJ

• Fromsons68

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @ JackE, no that did not work
  • JackE
    Options
    The LCD video cable probably needs to be replaced from broken wires in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the screen lid too much. Google search the part no. 50.B04D1.006 or 50.B04D1.007 for vendors who ship to your location. Usually less than $20usd. Example shown below

Jack E/NJ

• Fromsons68

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @JackE, it's an all in one computer and screen so no hinge laptop
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you enter the BIOS menu by pressing DEL key at startup with the external HDMI screen connected? If not, can you access the BIOS menu by Advanced Startup setting in the Windows start menu?

Jack E/NJ

• Fromsons68

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi JackE, no it just looks dead.
    Thanks for tyring
  • JackE
    Options
    Both screens?

Jack E/NJ

• Fromsons68

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi JackE, I have spoken to technical support and as the screen is black they think the processor may have gone.
    Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the processor were bad the external monitor wouldn't work either. It's much more likely either the internal display or as Jack suggests the cable that runs between the motherboard and display. Needless to say the thought of flexing that cable doesn't hold, but not flexing doesn't mean the cable couldn't have gone bad, just makes it much less likely. I gather you see no Acer splash screen on bootup, but can use the system with the external monitor?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The  aspire Z3-715 is fine when displaying externally connected computer via HDMI>>>
    >>>Hi JackE, I have spoken to technical support and as the screen is black they think the processor may have gone.>>>

Hafta agree with billsey  If the HDMI screen works under Windows, the GPU is certainly NOT gone. First try to reseat the cable a few times at the mainboard and internal screen to help clean its contacts. If still no joy, try a new $15 cable.  

Jack E/NJ