Acer Aspire a515-43 Touchpad no longer functions

uyMammoth
uyMammoth Member Posts: 3 New User
For some reason my Acer laptop's touchpad no longer functions and no cursor appears. I've tried updating the drivers through Device Manager but everything seems up to date as far as I I can tell and no drivers are found when I search automatically for them. I've also downloaded the two touchpad drivers available on the Acer website and Device Manager doesn't seem to find them when I search for them locally.

• I've tried FN+F7 and I've also tried F7 on it's own; both have not worked
  • I have tried re-installing windows and still it doesn't work.
  • I've looked at the touchpad settings in Windows itself and the Touchpad is set to enabled.
  • I've also checked the BIOS and have done Ctrl+S on the Main tab to bring up the touchpad settings. It is currently set to I2C and not PS2
Please, any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>I don't know about the "hidden ACER OEM factory reset" or the "ALT+F10 cold boot method".>>>

It's arguably the best way to rule in or rule a hardware problem. A bit involved but follow these steps as several re-boots may be needed.

(1) Turn the laptop on and immediately press the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.
    (2) In the BIOS Main tab make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled.
    (3) In the BIOS Security tab set a supervisor password.
    (4) Press F10 to save BIOS changes and exit the BIOS menu.
    (5) Windows should boot.
    (6) Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' Scroll down an uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked.
    (7) Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on and immediately press F2 again to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password. Disable secure boot. Then F10 to save settings and exit.
    (8) Windows should boot yet again. Shut down Windows normally again.
    (9) Turn machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key.
    (10) If the hidden ACER OEM factory reset partition is still intact, you will see a reset menu similar to --- but not quite the same as --- the one you got from a Windows Settings reset.

Like the Windows Settings reset menu, you'll have a choice of refreshing the OEM factory system while trying to save personal info. Or the preferrred full erase-everything ACER OEM factory reset. If the latter option fails to fix the problem, then it's likely a hardware issue. If it does fix the problem, then an errant update was the likely cause. If the problem is fixed, then immediately open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, make sure System Protection is turned on. This way we should be ableto identify and remove the errant update,  and prevent it from re-installing until a future update permanently fixes the problem.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi @uyMammoth,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

Answers

• JackE
    >>>I have tried re-installing windows and still it doesn't work.>>>

Did you re-install Windows from the hidden ACER OEM factory reset partition using the ALT+F10 cold boot method?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Hi @uyMammoth,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

• uyMammoth
    JackE said:
    >>>I have tried re-installing windows and still it doesn't work.>>>

Did you re-install Windows from the hidden ACER OEM factory reset partition using the ALT+F10 cold boot method?

I went into Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset This PC, and selected the "Remove everything" option. Should I considered re-installing Windows from one of your suggested methods? I don't know about the "hidden ACER OEM factory reset" or the "ALT+F10 cold boot method".

Easwar said:
    Hi @uyMammoth,

Try to do power drain,

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug the charger. 
    3. At the bottom there will be a tiny pin hole with battery sign close to it take a pin or paper clip and insert into it hold that button for 20-30 seconds. Then turn ON the unit and check.​

I inserted a paper clip into the hole you specified but after turning the laptop back on and attempting to use the touchpad it remains unfunctional.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>I don't know about the "hidden ACER OEM factory reset" or the "ALT+F10 cold boot method".>>>

It's arguably the best way to rule in or rule a hardware problem. A bit involved but follow these steps as several re-boots may be needed.

(1) Turn the laptop on and immediately press the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu.
    (2) In the BIOS Main tab make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled.
    (3) In the BIOS Security tab set a supervisor password.
    (4) Press F10 to save BIOS changes and exit the BIOS menu.
    (5) Windows should boot.
    (6) Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' Scroll down an uncheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked.
    (7) Shut down Windows normally. Turn machine back on and immediately press F2 again to re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password. Disable secure boot. Then F10 to save settings and exit.
    (8) Windows should boot yet again. Shut down Windows normally again.
    (9) Turn machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key.
    (10) If the hidden ACER OEM factory reset partition is still intact, you will see a reset menu similar to --- but not quite the same as --- the one you got from a Windows Settings reset.

Like the Windows Settings reset menu, you'll have a choice of refreshing the OEM factory system while trying to save personal info. Or the preferrred full erase-everything ACER OEM factory reset. If the latter option fails to fix the problem, then it's likely a hardware issue. If it does fix the problem, then an errant update was the likely cause. If the problem is fixed, then immediately open Control Panel. Search 'restore point' Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, make sure System Protection is turned on. This way we should be ableto identify and remove the errant update,  and prevent it from re-installing until a future update permanently fixes the problem.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Answer ✓
    Hi @uyMammoth,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password​​

3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. 
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• uyMammoth
    @JackE @Easwar Thank you both! After following your steps and factory resetting the touchpad is once again working!

Do I need to change any back any of the settings I've made in the BIOS or  is it not necessary? I'm assuming the changes I've made to the Settings in Windows have been reset through this.
  • JackE
    Congratulations on your success. As long as you don't forget the BIOS password, it should be fine as is.

Jack E/NJ