Aspire 1 A111-31 - Windows 10 upgrade halts: doesn't recognise external memory card at re-boot stage

glyn012003
glyn012003 Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi all,
I have seen questions about the memory issue when Windows updates are required on the Aspire 1 - but thought we had solved this with an external memory card in place...
So - I tried the update and it initially said not enough room on the C drive, but allowed me to choose the D drive (card) instead - which showed plenty of room...
It then proceeded - downloaded, installed etc - and then said it needed to re-boot: and that's when it failed!
An error message said to 'insert the memory card and click OK' during the reboot - and it wouldn't do anything even though the card was in.
I had to cancel the request and it rebooted, but popped up a message to say the install had not completed.
I repeated the whole process just to check and although it seemed to do things in a different order - and downloaded two things to update this time - it ended at the same point.
All the downloaded files are on the D drive card, so makes me think that it's another problem to solve re: the install - i.e. not a memory / drive problem.
Thank you for any thoughts.

Best Answers

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Is the sd card NTFS formatted? FAT32 formatted sd cards fail.

Jack E/NJ

• glyn012003
    JackE said:
    Is the sd card NTFS formatted? FAT32 formatted sd cards fail.
    Thank you JackE... I'm not sure, but will check that out and format to NTFS anyway - thank you for the suggestion.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. Let us know the results. Thanks.

Jack E/NJ

• glyn012003
    JackE said:
    OK. Let us know the results. Thanks.
    Thank you JackE - seems to have worked by formatting to NTFS! Thank you.
  • JackE
    Thanks for reporting back on your success.

Jack E/NJ