My Aspire 5 A515-56 laptop won't start up

OdysseyTech
OdysseyTech Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I'm having a similar problem to others. There was one or two times that the brand new laptop didn't seem to wake from sleep. But just now I installed a new RAM upgrade and it hasn't booted up since. In fact neither the power light nor the battery light are illuminating (though they did right after the upgrade, off and on, then they stopped lighting up and never came back). 

I tried the battery reset. I tried uninstalling the ram, unplugging the battery, then reinstalling the RAM and plugging the battery back in. I also removed the RAM.
Nothing is lighting up and nothing turning on. I also tried with an HDMI monitor and without. Plugged in and not plugged in. What is going on here?
How important is it to unplug the battery from the mother board? I didn't do it every time I fiddled with the RAM seating.

Model: Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-36UT
Processor: Intel i3

Added RAM: Crucial 16gb DDR4-2666 SODIMM 1.2v  CL19

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    >>>How important is it to unplug the battery from the mother board? I didn't do it every time I fiddled with the RAM seating.>>>

Critically important. Especially if Windows was left in Control Panel's power button app fast startup mode which is usually default. The RAM sockets are hot.

PS Is the machine still under warranty?

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @OdysseyTech,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • OdysseyTech

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>How important is it to unplug the battery from the mother board? I didn't do it every time I fiddled with the RAM seating.>>>

Critically important. Especially if Windows was left in Control Panel's power button app fast startup mode which is usually default. The RAM sockets are hot.

PS Is the machine still under warranty?
    It should be. We bought it for a school a month or two ago and I'm just getting around to set it up and upgrade it for the first time. 
    Are you saying that putting in RAM without the battery unplugged is enough to damage the whole computer? 
  • OdysseyTech

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @OdysseyTech,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
    No. No lights are coming on anymore. They were sort of on and off for a few of my first attempts after initially installing the RAM. And then they just quit and haven't come back on even once. (I was holding down the power button for 30 seconds, etc. based on other feedback to similar queries.
  • JackE
    OK. Try this. Remove the charger. Then open the laptop again. Disconnect the battery pack. Then check around the perimeter of the RAM socket for two spring loaded button switches. One will be directly in line with the reset pinhole on the bottom case cover. Another safety switch might be present which cuts all battery power to the mainboard if the bottom cover is removed, loose or not properly aligned.  Not all mainboards have this safety switch so it's hard to tell what you have.

Jack E/NJ

• What happens when you press this button for five seconds and leave the laptop off for five minutes?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @OdysseyTech,

Try to charge the unit with different charer.
  • OdysseyTech

Tinkerer

What happens when you press this button for five seconds and leave the laptop off for five minutes?

I tried resetting the battery several times and it never worked. I tried it for 5 seconds, for 20, and for 30. I tried it with the bottom case left off and I actually screwed the bottom all the way back in as well. I tried to start it while plugged into the AC adapter and not plugged in. 
    I did not have an extra adapter handy but I don't see how the brand new adapter could have been damaged by installing RAM. 

I guess the question comes down to, is this laptop so fragile that just installing RAM while the battery is not disconnected from the main board, enough to permanently fry the whole computer? If so, that is ridiculous. And also, why then doesn't the computer come with a manual that covers adding RAM? The closest thing I found online was a step by step on how to install a hard drive, which is not the same thing.

• JackE
    Did you find two spring-loaded switches around the perimeter of the RAM module or just one?

Jack E/NJ

• OdysseyTech

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you find two spring-loaded switches around the perimeter of the RAM module or just one?
    The only thing that seemed spring-loaded were the two prongs that hold the ram chip in place. Do you see it/them on the attached photo in this thread? And wouldn't the fact that I also returned the bottom cover and screwed it back in answer the issue of the mainboard needing to register that the laptop is put back together? Maybe I don't understand the switches purpose.
  • Jack is referring to a button similar to this one:
    Problemas para ligar o nitro 5  Acer Community
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    >>>I also returned the bottom cover and screwed it back in answer the issue of the mainboard needing to register that the laptop is put back together? Maybe I don't understand the switches purpose. >>>

Yes, that's the purpose. But if the bottom cover is slightly misaligned with --- or not pressing hard enough against --- this normally-off safety switch, then all power will be cut to the mainboard. Sometimes happening intermittently due to laptop movement.

Jack E/NJ