Upgrade Aspire 315-51-36ye support the nvme technologie help

freddybuc
freddybuc Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
hello recently i'm looking for an m.2 ssd but i dont know if my Acer Aspire 315-51-36ye support the nvme technologie help

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @freddybuc

Apparently your laptop can use PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with the capacity that you want.

Go to Youtube and search for videos of the take down of the laptop. 

Don't forget to get a thin heat sink when using M.2 NVMe SSD to avoid thermal throttling. I recommend using heat sinks for any kind of M.2 SSDs.

• freddybuc

Tinkerer

@ttttt
    thank you for your help i dont understand what heatsink are you talking about btw here's a photo of my m.2 pcie port 
  • ttttt
    @freddybuc

Here is what a thin heat sink that I talked about.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Heatsinks-Silicone-Radiation-Dissipate/dp/B078X8WCY2/ref=psdc_2998409011_t2_B07LC9TGC7?th=1

This is just to give you the idea what a thin heat sink should look like. I have not used this particular brand of heat sink. Due to the limited space of a laptop, some full sized heat sinks ( such as those with elevated fins) cannot be used inside a laptop.
  • freddybuc

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    @ttttt sorry sir i have one more question is my laptop support both sata m.2 and nvme? bcz i do not know wich one should i get some youtubers said nvme will not work and others are saying it will but the speed is like sata however this is the full informations of my laptop cpu=i3 7020U/ memorie=8GB ddr4

• ttttt
    @freddybuc

Based on the HWinfo64  info provided by you, your PC can use PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD. I have compared your PCIe Root port info with my PC and they are the same : Version 3.0, Link Width 4x, Link Speed 8.0 GT/s, Link speed 2.5 GT/s. So, I was pretty sure your laptop can use gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD.

However, from the photo I could see that there are only four pins on the narrower side of the notch, whereas typical "M" key M.2 slot has five pins. Anywhere between 1-2 months ago I saw from this Acer Community that one person had posted a photo like that when trying to do the upgrade. Do not  quite remember what this person ended up with, probably M.2 SATA SSD. I am still trying to find this thread. Maybe you can search for that too.

One other source that you can try is to visit this site:
    https://www.userbenchmark.com

Use your PC to run a benchmark test there and try to run the SSD upgrade test. See if the site will give you gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSDs as the right upgrades for your laptop. This should confirm your possible upgrade.

One other not so smart method is to get both NVMe and SATA drives from a seller with good returning policy. Just retain the best one ( I believe both will work with your laptop) and return the other one for refund.
  • freddybuc

Tinkerer

so id did and the upgrade show not compatible once i change with kingston it never shhows again  btw today i will buy it and its a kingston A2000 M.2 SSD Nvme pcie 250GB (30$)btw 
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited September 2021
    @freddybuc

I would like to provide an additional info for you...

Kindly go through the details given below.   The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website  given below .  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .   Please chose the options and try it.   It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• ttttt
    @freddybuc

Let us know how it turn out.
  • freddybuc

Tinkerer

hello again sorry i cut you off guys i forget to tell  u a got the upgrade it's an Kingstone SSD Nvme pcie A2000 2GB/s Read/Write and this is fast as hell so yeh iit runs like butter thank you @ttttt and @William_mk2 for support i really appreciate.thank you again <3

• ttttt
    @freddybuc

You are welcome. As I checked the picture of the Kingston A2000 NVME SSD (seq. read to 2,000 MB/s), there are also 5-pins on the narrower side of the notch, can be used for your 4-pin M.2 slot. I'll remember that this time. Just do not know this 4-pin slot will be able to achieve 3,400 MB/s when using high end gen 3 x4 NVMe drive?
  • freddybuc

Tinkerer

@ttttt
    According to User Benchmark it do actually it did accept a 31000 MB/s of WD_Black NVME SSD  but I don't know actually if speed may cut due to what PCI port could accept picture blow show's result. btw user benchmark said that my SSD is way below expectations and I do not believe that, also it mentions the speed is 150MB/s which is weird I did a copy large 8GB file test it finish in couple second the speed was between 700 MB/s also startup windows is like 3 sec max if u have any idea to test this SSD at it's fullest please inform me thank you

• ttttt
    @freddybuc

Personally I do not trust the Userbenchmark SSD speed test that much, because it gave my gen 4 high end M.2 NVMe SSD at 3,500 MB/s seq. read, whereas Crystal Disk Info and Samsung Magician reported something close to 6,300+ MB/s. Probably the UserbenckMark speed test for SSD is a test for gen 3 drives only.
    How about running Crystal Disk Info?  I trust this program more.

WD SN750 Black is a high end drive and is capable of close to 3,200 MB/s seq. read (500 GB capacity, one TB model should be higher) at my desktop PC.

• freddybuc

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    @ttttt
    you were right tho its about 1.8GB read/write but one more thing my HDD is saying have bad sector but i don't see a bad performance its like any HDD any idea
  • ttttt
    @freddybuc

I am sorry that I just told you about Crystal Disk Info and not Crystal Disk Mark. Anyway, you did find the Crystal Disk Mark and have run it. Have you finished running the whole program ? The screen shot indicated 1,732 MB/s for seq. read, but seemed the program was still in progress. It may take a while to finish running the program.

This 1,732 MB/s is typical the speed of a PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 NVMe SSD. If you were using a high end PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2  NVMe SSD by that time, then the speed was  already reduced to half, probably because of the 4-pin connector instead of typical 5-pin type on the narrower side of the M.2 slot. Or is it because you are using the Kingston A2000 having maximum seq. read to 2,000 MB/s only?

Anyway, you may be still happy to see this increased speed from the 1 TB, 5400 RPM WD drive. Be sure to backup the data from this WD 1 TB HDD.

In command prompt ( as administrator), try run the command:

CHKDSK D: /f, see if it can fix your WD 5400 RPM HDD, assuming D; is still the WD 1TB 5400 RPM HDD

• ttttt
    Oops! that d: turn out to be an emoji, strange? 

Should be,

chkdsk d: /f