I have an Acer aspire 5742 (no letter) just an aspire 5742 bios version is V1.22 intel v1994

VYGON1
VYGON1 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I have an Acer aspire 5742 (no letter) just an aspire 5742 bios version is V1.22  intel v1994 and i accidently formatted the hard drive, tried to reinstall windows 7 but i keep getting the message that something is missing, (and i dont know what that something is) on the hard drive.  And i now cant install an operating system, i even tried windows XP as well as windows 7, cant even restore back to Windows 8.1. Someone told me that it is most likely something to do with the bios, Can anybody help with advising on what bios i should be using i also cant use the acer update system as no hard drive.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Please post phoneshots of the BIOS Information and Boot tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back. I strongly recommend that you resist the  temptation to update the BIOS firmware since the updates should mainly be considered irreversible, designed for mainboards that have issues described by firmware update or that can't be fixed by normal driver updates, and have a high risk of bricking the machine. However, if you want to risk it anyway, you can go to this link and download the most recent versions. Please understand that your current version 1.22 that works fine, cannot be recovered if something goes wrong.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>> accidently formatted the hard drive>>>

Exactly how did you do this?

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

Hi Jack E/NJ
    I honestly dont know how i done it. I was formatting a hard drive from an old laptop to use for storage of photos and i think i some how managed to get them mixed up but as i said dont know how i managed it, anyway thats what happened can you help.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Please post phoneshots of the BIOS Information and Boot tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @VYGON1,

Try to restore the system.

1. Open Start.
    2. Search for Create a restore point, and click the top result to open the System Properties page.
    3. Click the System Restore button. ...
    4. Click the Next button.
    5. Select the restore point to undo changes and fix problems on Windows 10.
  • VYGON1

Tinkerer

Hi Easwar,
    that wont work as i get the message No operating system please install one
    vygon1
  • VYGON1

Tinkerer

sorry JackE took out the hard drive to try something well just to see if i could install the windows 7 back on this way or even try puting winXP on havent done that yet but the hard drive is a 750GB WD7500BPVT WD Scorpio Blue. s/n WX61A4182072
  • JackE
    That is not the original HDD. You must reconnect it. Then see if it is recognized in the BIOS Information tab. The machine is old enough that it may have issues with drives much larger than about 100GB. Post a phoneshot after you reconnected it.

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    Hi JackE/NJ,
    Thanks for your help sofar but ref the HDD its the only one i have besides the old one that started this all off this is definitely the HDD i took out so as i said i couldnt get it mixed up. Well anyway good news, i purchased a windows 7 recovery and repair solutions cd from a big company on the internet and thought cant do any harm because its not working anyway, and low and behold it repaired the HDD and loaded windows 7 + all the drivers. So its now up and running. But i would still like to update my bios and i would be greatful if you could help me with downloading the correct version of the bios i should use thank you so much for your help
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back. I strongly recommend that you resist the  temptation to update the BIOS firmware since the updates should mainly be considered irreversible, designed for mainboards that have issues described by firmware update or that can't be fixed by normal driver updates, and have a high risk of bricking the machine. However, if you want to risk it anyway, you can go to this link and download the most recent versions. Please understand that your current version 1.22 that works fine, cannot be recovered if something goes wrong.

Jack E/NJ

• VYGON1

Tinkerer

OK thank you advice accepted