Aspire 7736zg : cannot boot on SSD

EmmanuelMicron
EmmanuelMicron Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi!

I've been using my Acer Aspire 7736zg for a long time and recently tried to replace the HDD by a SSD Kingston A400. My goal was to refresh my laptop installing Ubuntu or Fedora or whatever on the SSD.

But: as soon as I replace the HDD by the SSD, it looks like the SSD is not recognized when booting so it's impossible to boot on Linux.

The strange thing is that to install Ubuntu, I created a Live USB stick and was able to install Ubuntu on the SSD.

Does anyone has an idea? What should I do?

As far as I know, 7736zg is using JV50 motherboard.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The Ubuntu installation may have automatically GPT partitioned the SSD. The SSD must be MBR partitioned.

Jack E/NJ

• EmmanuelMicron

Tinkerer

Good try JackE but no : the SSD is MBR partitionned (just checked it again and reinstalled Ubuntu to make sure my first install was correct).

As soon as the SSD is plugged to the SATA connector, even trying to enter the boot menu (selection of the boot device) it very slow (more than s I'd say) and when it finally appears, no SSD or HDD is listed, only the DVD
  • EmmanuelMicron

Tinkerer

btw, I have BIOS 2.10 which according to Acer support site is the latest version
  • JackE
    >>>As soon as the SSD is plugged to the SATA connector, >>>

Hold on!!! How did you install ubuntu in the first place if it's not plugged into the mainboard already?

Jack E/NJ

• EmmanuelMicron

Tinkerer

I plugged the SSD on the mainboard then booted on my pen drive with Live Ubuntu. It all started and I was able to install Ubuntu on the SSD from the live session.

So, on one side, SSD is recognized (by Linux after booting on the pen drive) but on another side it's unable to recognize the SSD as a boot drive
  • EmmanuelMicron

Tinkerer

Just for information, I did not manage to work with my new SSD but I tried with an old SSD Kingston V300 (6+ years at least) my son was using, and it worked. It's only 120 Gb (instead of 480 Gb) but I don't need so much disk space.

Still wondering why my laptop doesn't boot with my brand new SSD but my problem is somehow solved...
  • JackE
    Can you access the new 480GB drive on a USB port using a 2.5" USB-to-HDD/SSD adapter(less than $10 from Amazon or other seller). Then we can take a look at it with gparted.

Jack E/NJ

• EmmanuelMicron

Tinkerer

Yes, I have such adapter. What is to be checked with Gparted?
  • JackE
    Please compare its partitioning structure with the HDD and the old 120GB SSD 

Jack E/NJ