Aspire 5 This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action."

GeorgeAKA
GeorgeAKA Member Posts: 5 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Just bought a new laptop (Acer Aspire 5) when I pin an app to the taskbar and open it it says "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page." It only happens on the pinned apps on the taskbar.

Answers

• GeorgeAKA

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x
    click on power shell admin or command prompt admin 
    type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  
    click on next, finish, yes
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date 
    if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 
    It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is work@GeorgeAKA

If it is not working.. 

Kindly follow the steps given below:

1. Type cmd in windows search bar

2. Right click on command prompt

3. Select run as administrator

4. Type sfc /scannow

You can alternatively go to command prompt by

Try windows + x on keyboard -  It will show you a menu

click on Command prompt admin or power shell admin  - click on yes

on the black or blue command prompt window - please type

1. sfc /scannow  and press enter

2. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" without quote and press ENTER

3. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" without quote and press ENTER

4. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" without quote and press ENTER

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    >>>when I pin an app to the taskbar and open it it says "This file does not have an app associated with it>>>

What app are you trying to pin? If more than one, just name one app and we will try to pin it so it opens.

Jack E/NJ

• GeorgeAKA
    JackE said:
    >>>when I pin an app to the taskbar and open it it says "This file does not have an app associated with it>>>

What app are you trying to pin? If more than one, just name one app and we will try to pin it so it opens.

I tried the file explorer, chrome and edge, most of the pinned apps wont run. Except those apps that are downloadable on Microsoft store I think, cuz I tried to pin the apps store, the fb messenger app and FB app that I downloaded on the Microsoft store, and they work fine.
  • GeorgeAKA

GeorgeAKA

Sometimes a simple system restore will fix the issue.. 

Try windows x
    click on power shell admin or command prompt admin 
    type rstrui
    chose an earlier date on which your computer was working fine  
    click on next, finish, yes
    It will restore your computer to an earlier date 
    if you get an message - system restore not completed - click on close 
    It will show you all the icons..

Try and check whether it is work@GeorgeAKA

If it is not working.. 

Kindly follow the steps given below:

1. Type cmd in windows search bar

2. Right click on command prompt

3. Select run as administrator

4. Type sfc /scannow

You can alternatively go to command prompt by

Try windows + x on keyboard -  It will show you a menu

click on Command prompt admin or power shell admin  - click on yes

on the black or blue command prompt window - please type

1. sfc /scannow  and press enter

2. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" without quote and press ENTER

3. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" without quote and press ENTER

4. Type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" without quote and press ENTER

I tried your first option but it says I don't have a restore points and I have to create one, and idk know how to create one and idk what to put onto the restore point description. So i went to your 2nd option and after i entered "sfc/scannow" i got this

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

Then I proceeded in CheckHealth, ScanHealth, and RestoreHealth and everything was good and didn't find any issues. But still it did not solve my pinned apps problem.
  • JackE
    OK. Sounds like you have Windows 10 Store mode installed. Also known as Win10 S mode. It is too restrictive on what you can run. I recommend that you go to this link and follow directions to change it to regular Windows 10 Home Premium.

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @GeorgeAKA,

I think app is not installed properly. Try to uninstall and re-install it properly. 
  • GeorgeAKA
    JackE said:
    OK. Sounds like you have Windows 10 Store mode installed. Also known as Win10 S mode. It is too restrictive on what you can run. I recommend that you go to this link and follow directions to change it to regular Windows 10 Home Premium.
    All I see is its on Whindows 10 Home, I also read that on Win 10 S mode you cant run Apps that are outside the microsoft store, but I can still open Chrome and i can still intall apps that are outside the Store. My big problem is that apps that I pinned on the taskbar shows the issue, but i can still open the app if I access them through windows menu or in the desktop.
  • JackE
    OK. Since it's new, try these steps to reset the machine to a factory OEM system state.

(1) F2 into the BIOS menu at startup.
    (2) Make sure F12 and D2D options are turned on in the BIOS Main tab.
    (3) Press F10 to save BIOS settings and exit.
    (4) Shut down Windows normally after it loads
    (5) Turn machine on and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping F10 key
    (6) A menu should appear to allow refreshing the system while trying to save your personal files or an erase-everything ACER OEM factory reset. The latter is best.

Then test the system operation again.

Jack E/NJ