Second internal disk for Aspire XC-1660G

gdett2
gdett2 Member Posts: 3 New User
Is there space for a second drive in an XC-1660G?  What form factor?  Do I need a cable? Card?  I can't find a schematic, manual or anything.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    The Aspire XC-1660G is new enough that I don't have that level of detail yet. I've asked for it and should hear back soon. Most of the model is a similar case have room for one or two HDDs and a SSD slot on the motherboard. I would expect it to be similar.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • b0yinterrupted
    b0yinterrupted Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

gdett2 said:
    Is there space for a second drive in an XC-1660G?  What form factor?  Do I need a cable? Card?  I can't find a schematic, manual or anything.

I installed an SSD in the XC-1660G I just bought. Mine came with the cable to hook it up, but for some reason... probably because of the NVMe drive, I had to adjust the bios settings it was set as Intel RST I think and needed to be AHCI. The bay seems to be large enough for a regular HDD. I'd just go with an SSD to keep things fast.
  • b0yinterrupted
    b0yinterrupted Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

gdett2 said:

I installed an SSD in the XC-1660G I just bought. Mine came with the cable to hook it up, but for some reason... probably because of the NVMe drive, I had to adjust the bios settings it was set as Intel RST I think and needed to be AHCI. The bay seems to be large enough for a regular HDD. I'd just go with an SSD to keep things fast.
    Just checked, I definitely did change it to AHCI because it won't read the other drive if set as Intel RST.
  • JasonStern
    JasonStern Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

The XC-1660G has spare SATA connectors to add additional drives, and sufficient space to mount an additional one. But unless you plan on disconnecting the DVD-RW, you will need both a data cable and an extender/Y-adapter for the power connection. They can be found cheap, but definitely something to remember prior to trying to install the drive.