Video output stuck on HDMI only - can't use laptop monitor - "Project" Command doesn't work Spin5

Busterdog21
Busterdog21 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
The video output for my Spin5 laptop is stuck on HDMI only - I can see everything when I plug it into my TV, but I can't get the laptop monitor to display.  Laptop monitor is FINE - it shows the ACER logo on startup, and sometimes shows error messages- but once system is loaded, the only output that works is HDMI!
( After hours spent on solutions - this seems to be some internal/programming switch  that is set to HDMI only. )
SOLUTIONS ATTEMPTED:
-- The Project Command does not affect this, no matter what you set it on.
-- I have updated both the video and monitor drivers - no effect.
-- deleted and reinstalled the monitor driver- this seemed to help briefly the first time I tried it - laptop monitor came back on, but after trying to use HDMI again, it got stuck on HDMI only. I have tried it twice since then, with no effect.
-- This 'might' be related to the latest Windows 10 update (Sept. 3, 2021) - this problem started around the same time.  I have tried to go back to a restore point before this, which just screwed up my system. Computer said 'we cannot complete the auto-repair', and system wouldn't load at all.
-- SO I did a full system restore - but the same video problem persists!

After hours spent on solutions - this seems to be some internal/programming switch  that is set to HDMI only. Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Try creating a new user and see if happens for that account as well. It might be an issue with your profile.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Busterdog21
    Busterdog21 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I tried this and it has no effect.  Some internal software switch seems to keep it set on HDMI.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    So not a profile issue darn it. When in the BIOS screen does it display on the internal or external monitor? That would bypass all the Windows side of things...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.