Can't boot USB from UEFI BIOS Aspire E1-531.

federik95
federik95 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello everyone,

from this morning I'm not able to access to Windows on my Acer Aspire E1-531. 

When I power on the laptop it returns: "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information"
FIle: \BCD
Error code: 0xc0000034. 

It suggests to run the system from a USB or contact a technician. 

I will try to create a USB with Windows, (from Media Creation Tool and Rufus (NFTS or FAT32) but boot from USB doesn't work. Secure Boot is disabled. 
Only when I create a USB in NFTS format and click F12 to choose the device there's just for 4-5 seconds a screen that I attacch. 

What can I do to fix this problem? I can't boot from other devices.
At now the other solution is switch to legacy and reinstall the system (after delete all my data). 

Thank you in advance.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,467 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    federik95 said:
    Hello everyone,

When I power on the laptop it returns: "The boot configuration data file is missing some required information"

I will try to create a USB with Windows, (from Media Creation Tool and Rufus (NFTS or FAT32) but boot from USB doesn't work. Secure Boot is disabled. 
    Only when I create a USB in NFTS format and click F12 to choose the device there's just for 4-5 seconds a screen that I attacch. 

At now the other solution is switch to legacy and reinstall the system (after delete all my data). 

Thank you in advance.

Error code: 0xc0000034 can lead your screen to convert into black and blue. Go to the link I've provided as there are 4 different steps and see those guides to recover your boot drive as the following are some of the symptoms of error code  0xc0000034: 
    • Recovery
    • Your PC needs to be repaired
    • The Boot Configuration data file is missing some required information
    • File:/ BCD
    • Error Code 0xc0000034 Windows 10
    First try this simple steps:

Follow these steps to refresh your PC.

Step 1. First of all, restart the computer

Step 2. Press F8 or F11 key

Step 3. Click on the "troubleshoot" option

Step 4. Click on the button that says "refresh your PC."

If that doesn't work then try this: 

Step 1. download windows 10 in UEFI format mode as MBR/Legacy will not boot.

Step 2. boot laptop/PC using USB stick

Step 3. let the WIM boot up and follow instructions until you see "Repair your computer" go through the options and select "Command prompt".

Step 4. When you are at the command prompt run these options :-
    Bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

once done type exit.

Step 5. Your computer should reboot  as normal … and hopefully you'll be back in windows 10 with no loss of data.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,779 Trailblazer
    >>>At now the other solution is switch to legacy and reinstall the system (after delete all my data)>>>

Keep in UEFI mode. Also make sure D2D and F12 boot options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Then try this. Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear to allow you to refresh the system while trying to save your personal files.

Jack E/NJ

• federik95
    edited September 2021
    StevenGen said:
    federik95 said:
    Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.

Error code: 0xc0000034 can lead your screen to convert into black and blue. Go to the link I've provided as there are 4 different steps and see those guides to recover your boot drive as the following are some of the symptoms of error code  0xc0000034: 
    • Recovery

Step 3. let the WIM boot up and follow instructions until you see "Repair your computer" go through the options and select "Command prompt".

Bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

once done type exit.

Step 5. Your computer should reboot  as normal … and hopefully you'll be back in windows 10 with no loss of data.

Yes, I tried all.. 

The problem is that I can't access USB from UEFI Mode, when I switch on Legacy I'm able to boot from USB or CD. 
    I tried to run the command from USB in legacy mode but there's error: /rebuildBDC doesn't work. I think because the partition is UFI/GPT.JackE said:
    >>>At now the other solution is switch to legacy and reinstall the system (after delete all my data)>>>

Keep in UEFI mode. Also make sure D2D and F12 boot options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Then try this. Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear to allow you to refresh the system while trying to save your personal files.
    F12 is enable in both BIOS version. There isn't possibility to enabled D2D in UEFI Mode. 
    I also tried to turn on PC with ALT and F10, same error: "Recover, ecc".

Seems like in UEFI mode doesn't work properly.

Update BIOS? The version is 2.01, on the Acer site I haven't find a version that can upgrade.

[To open the recovery mode]
    At the boot, if I click F12 the only option that I have is "open with Windows Boot Manager", not with the Hard Disk. And follow the error.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,467 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    federik95 said:
    StevenGen said:
    federik95 said:
    Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.

• Recovery

Bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

once done type exit.

Yes, I tried all.. 

The problem is that I can't access USB from UEFI Mode, when I switch on Legacy I'm able to boot from USB or CD. 
    I tried to run the command from USB in legacy mode but there's error: /rebuildBDC doesn't work. I think because the partition is UFI/GPT.JackE said:

F12 is enable in both BIOS version. There isn't possibility to enabled D2D in UEFI Mode. 
    I also tried to turn on PC with ALT and F10, same error: "Recover, ecc".

Seems like in UEFI mode doesn't work properly.

Update BIOS? The version is 2.01, on the Acer site I haven't find a version that can upgrade.

[To open the recovery mode]
    At the boot, if I click F12 the only option that I have is "open with Windows Boot Manager", not with the Hard Disk. And follow the error.

What format is your WIM USB formatted in? As it seems that your USB is in "Master Boot Record (MBR)" or more known as Legacy mode and you have to have the USB in "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" format mode (and the USB is best if done on your laptop) that is why its always wise to do a WIM USB on your laptop pre any problems like you are having and also doing a backup with a software like Macrium Reflect, as that is why you are having..."The problem is that I can't access USB from UEFI Mode, when I switch on Legacy I'm able to boot from USB or CD". Try to do a UEFI USB WIM on another UEFI computer and try it with that. 
  • federik95
    I see that if I remove the HDD and boot from USB it works on UEFI mode.
    So I tried to connect the HDD by usb cable, but when I try to fixboot it doesn't find Devices available to execute command.

Can I reinstall the OS with HDD linked by usb cable? Are there license problem?
  • JackE
    What was the original factory installed Windows version? Win7? Win8? Win8.1?

Jack E/NJ

• federik95
    JackE said:
    What was the original factory installed Windows version? Win7? Win8? Win8.1?

I have recovered Windows key through ubuntu, I hope that's correct.
  • JackE
    Does the key have OEM as part of the number?

Jack E/NJ

• federik95
    No, do you think it isn't valid?
  • JackE
    >>>I have recovered Windows key through ubuntu>>>>>>No [OEM}, do you think it isn't valid?>>>

Might be valid but not factory-installed OS

(1) Do you know if a factory OS was ever installed?
    (2) Did you use a ubuntu live stick to get the key?
    (3) What is the BIOS version number actually shown in the BIOS Information tab?
    (4) In the BIOS Main tab, does pressing Ctrl+S reveal any hidden options?

Jack E/NJ

• federik95
    edited September 2021
    JackE said:
    >>>I have recovered Windows key through ubuntu>>>>>>No [OEM}, do you think it isn't valid?>>>

Might be valid but not factory-installed OS

(1) Do you know if a factory OS was ever installed?
    (2) Did you use a ubuntu live stick to get the key?
    (3) What is the BIOS version number actually shown in the BIOS Information tab?
    (4) In the BIOS Main tab, does pressing Ctrl+S reveal any hidden options?

1) There was a factory OS installed, in the Ubuntu session I saw partition: Acer and Recovery.
    2) Yes, the command that I found is: "sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM"
    3) v2.01
    4) No

Anyway: 
    In UEFI Mode it's not possible to install OS to HDD linked by USB cable. 

I set Legacy Mode (I know your suggestion but I haven't other solutions), boot from USB and installed Windows 8.1. All works fine.
    At the start it doesn't asked me the license key, in "This PC" Properties I see that Windows is activated.
  • JackE
    >>>In UEFI Mode it's not possible to install OS to HDD linked by USB cable. >>>

The HDD must be connected to the internal bus connector, NOT a USB port.

Jack E/NJ