Acer Aspire TC-895-UA92 PSU/GPU upgrade

Hello! I currently own an unmodified TC-895-UA92 and want an EVGA GTX 780. I am wondering what PSU I should use. I have the stock PSU (10400 version). I need to know what type of PSUs I should get if you can please try to add links for compatible PSUs (600~650 watts)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,454 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    Hello! I currently own an unmodified TC-895-UA92 and want an EVGA GTX 780. I am wondering what PSU I should use. I have the stock PSU (10400 version). I need to know what type of PSUs I should get if you can please try to add links for compatible PSUs (600~650 watts)

The GeForce GTX-780 needs a 600W PSU but, make sure that you have the space to fit these sorts of GPU’s and measure your available internal space first and make sure that a GTX type GPU will fit? Also, I would upgrade the GPU to a better performing GPU like the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti that only needs a 450W PSU and will give you 105% better performance than the GeForce GTX 780. Also and as an option (depends on your budget and how high you want to go with your ugrade?) you can upgrade the OEM CPU to the higher spec and faster i7 CPU used on the TC-895 which is the i7-10700 that has the same TDP of 65W as your OEM i5-10400, You can even go further and upgrade the max memory capacity for your TC-895-UA92 which is 32GB max like a KIT of the Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 UDIMM or try their “Crucial® System Scanner" that will give you all the upgrade options for your memory and SSD drives that are suitable for your TC-895-UA92, as all these upgrades will increase your desktops gaming and overall performance considerably. 

Note: your TC-985 takes a FLEX  form factor PSU to provide compact flexibility for small computer cases so you cant use any PSU, there are FLEX type PSU's of greater output than your OEM LiteOn 300W 80 Plus Bronze, but it depends on what GPU that you are going to upgrade to and that is why I suggested the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti that requires a 450W PSU so, here is a PSU that will fit and its a 500W SilverStone FX500 Flex ATX PSU so look for these types of PSU's and also this article "Best Flex ATX PSU" and see if these FLEX type PSU manufacturers have a 450W or higher PSU in their range that will match what your new GPU power requirements requires, as your OEM PSU has these features and the following connectors:
    • ATX Connector 24 (20+4) Pin x 1
    • P4-12V 4-Pin x 1
    • Molex 4-Pin x 2
    • SATA 15-Pin x 2
    • Floppy 4-Pin x 1
    More Features
    • Designed for the FLEX  form factor to provide compact flexibility for small computer cases.
    • It is also compatible with many main brand systems.
    • Output connectors includes 24(20+4)pin, P4-12V 4pin, SATA II 15pin, Molex 4pin, and FDD 4pin.
    • Includes internal 40mm ball-bearing fan and thermal fan speed control for maximum heat and noise dissipation.
    • Dielectric Withstand: Primary Frame Ground 1800V AC for 1 Second
      Rise time: Less than 20ms
    • Temperature Range: Operating: 0 to +50 Celsius Degree on Full Load;
                Storage & Shipping: -20 to +80 Celsius Degree
                Humidity: 5% - 90% on Operating, 5% - 95% on Storage

• SeanLeDino
    SeanLeDino Member Posts: 4 New User
    I am wondering if an ATX PSU will work in a flex-atx case, all I need to know is if it works. not the size.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The TC-895 (not TC-985 as stated above) uses an ATX12VO power supply, which is in the ATX form factor, but provides only 12V DC to the motherboard. There are two connectors for the MB, a 6pin and an 8pin. Both have three +12V and three Ground, with the 8pin also having the PS_ON connections. You might be able to modify a old style ATX supply and only use the 12V from it, but you'll need to verify it has enough current on the 12V rail to handle the full load, since you won't be using any of the other power lines, and also verify it'll work when the other voltages aren't being used.
    There are very few ATV12VO supplies on the third party market. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SeanLeDino
    Am I able to use an ATX1VO instead of the ATX12VO?
  • SeanLeDino
    Or should I get another psu strictly for the GPU?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The motherboard expects only 12V DC from the PSU. Does your PSU have extra connectors on it? If so it might have a connector designed to work with a GPU card.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.