BIOS update Acer Aspire A515-52G

SeveralDenotations
SeveralDenotations Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello, I am having problems with my Laptop and its performance while playing games. When I am not charging the laptop everything is fine, when I am charging it while playing however, the frames drop drastically. Often to about 20 fps. When looking this problem up on the internet I was told to update the BIOS. In a different post I read that updating it could brick this laptop.

So I am asking, should I update the BIOS, or should I do something else. Turning of the Geforce Whisper mode does not work either, since it does not work on this laptop.

I would greatly appreciate advice.

Answers

• Eliminiquated
    Eliminiquated Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

@SeveralDenotations I don't know anything about BIOS but I do know that it helps your performance a lot by turning on Performance Mode in power settings. What could be happening is that when it is charging it switches to Battery Mode to make the charging faster.

After plugging in your laptop follow these steps:

1. Right click the Windows button on the taskbar.

2. Click on settings

3. Go to system and click on power

4. Click on additional power settings

5. Click on High Performance.

I hope this helps you!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,775 Trailblazer
    BIOS firmware update is usually the last resort you want to try.

So let's try this first. BEFORE starting heavy gaming loads, start up with the battery near 100% charged and the laptop plugged in. Then start the game but leave the charger plugged in. This should give you maximum play time until the battery level drops below about 50% even plugged in. This is because there are times when gaming that the CPU/GPU demand more power than the charger can supply and the battery helps to meet the demand by actually discharging. When the battery reaches 50% , It takes precedent over the CPU/GPU power demand and starts charging. The CPU/GPU then starts to throttle back performance and stuttering begins.

Jack E/NJ