BIOS version 1.20 A515-56T

shbrueske
shbrueske Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Has anyone found a Linux advocate inside Acer support? Surely, there must be one. All I need is for someone to make available BIOS version 1.20 to support AHIC for a Linux install on my new A515-56T. It is available for many other A515 configurations. If I can't get my BIOS updated I have just wasted a lot of money.

Best Answer

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It should just be a case of turning VMD off, no new options appear once its off :) , supervisor password doesnt matter (i think it did on older ones) and Secure boot may need to be off unless you are installing Ubuntu where it can be left on.

When off, does the drive still not show? What distro are you using :)

Answers

• Leostat
    edited September 2021
    Does the usual cntrl+s method not show either drive mode, RST or vmd controller? If it's 11th gen there should be a VMD option to turn off :) 
  • shbrueske

Tinkerer

No ctrl+s option does not show the ability to change sata. Researching the problem I found a person who said you must be at BIOS 1.20 to make that option work. I am at 1.12
  • Leostat
    It wouldn't be under sata but vmd controller :) I think that 1.20 references a much older lappy. If you mash the key combo what options appear?
  • shbrueske

Tinkerer

Looking back at your response, the A515-56T has an 11th gen chip. In the BIOS under MAIN I see an option to disable the VMD controller. Changing it did not make the AHIC option appear. But, would this effectively disable RST?
  • Leostat
    edited September 2021
    Yarp :) VMD is the "new" name for the intel rapid storage engine, by flicking into off you in effect enable AHCI mode with the drive, its easy to miss! (And not very helpfully named, acer could do a better job i agree ;)! ) . Also Intel really should commit some RST / VMD drivers to the mainline kernel, there isnt a reason they couldnt as they have them in Windows

Flicking to off should make the drive appear under /dev or whatever installer you are using :)
  • shbrueske

Tinkerer

No new options show when hit ctrl-s whether VMD is enabled or disabled. Somewhere else I read that you need to have the supervisor password set. So I did that and no change.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,180 Trailblazer
    edited September 2021
    OK! But does linux install recognize hard drive or ssd when you disable VMD CONTROLLER?

VMD Controller [Enabled] / [Disabled]
    • By default, this item is hidden. Visible only after the user presses Ctrl+S in this menu.
    • VMD stands for Intel Volume Manage Device Bootcamp.
    • The detail VMD configuration should depends on actual HW layout.
    • The default value is [Enabled].

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Leostat
    Answer ✓
    It should just be a case of turning VMD off, no new options appear once its off :) , supervisor password doesnt matter (i think it did on older ones) and Secure boot may need to be off unless you are installing Ubuntu where it can be left on.

When off, does the drive still not show? What distro are you using :)
  • shbrueske

Tinkerer

OMG - simply turning VMD off worked. Why on earth would ACER support not tell me that when I called them? And, I can't believe I've been searching the internet for hours and haven't found any reference to VMD on this issue. I must have been looking in all the wrong place.  :)  Thank you everyone who helped solve this.
  • Leostat
    Glad it worked :D I agree it could be clearer i dont think theres any acer documentation on what it even does which is awful 😂 it even messes up installing windows there really should be a thing in the bios telling you what it does / how to make it work