integrated webcam stopped getting detected in both Windws and Linux in Acer Aspire 515-55

thosecars82
thosecars82 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello

For some strange reason the integrated webcam of an Acer Aspire 515-55 is not detected any more by either Windows or Linux. I did not change the operating systems. Windows 10 might have installed a few updates though. Anyway it does not make any sense to me that the camera stops getting detected at the same time in both Windows 10 and  Linux Cent OS 8. I also tried to test the integrated webcam by booting Linux Ubuntu 18 from a USB drive. Then I run cheese on this live Ubuntu 18 and I saw the message "No device found.".

I took a look at the BIOS but I did not find any setting related to enabling or disabling a webcam.

Does anyone know how to find out whether this is a hardware problem?

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Shut the laptop off. Unplug charge. Insert paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about 60 seconds. Plug the charger back in. Test for the camera hardware again.

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

I boot up this computer with external drive (Linux) and some other times with internal drive (Windows) and I would not like to lose the ability to boot up with any of my drives.

Will any of the settings of my current boot up sequence of the UEFI BIOS be lost if I insert the paperclip into the reset pinhole? Will any data of my internal harddrive be wiped out by doing that?
    Thanks

• JackE
    It shouldn't. The reset simply cuts all power sources including battery pack feeding the mainboard in order to drain any residual electric charges that may be blocking camera hardware detection.

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

I inserted the paperclip into the reset pinhole on bottom for about 60 seconds but it does not work in either Windows or Linux yet. Does that mean the integrated webcam is broken?
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    thosecars82,

What application are you usig to open camera ? like Zoom, Google classroom etc.
  • JackE
    >>> Does that mean the integrated webcam is broken? >>>

Not necessarily. Boot Windows with the Linux drive unplugged. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, is System Protection turned on or off?

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    I did not know what happened. After inserting the paperclip into the reset pinhole on bottom for about 60 seconds 4 hours ago, I tried the webcam in Windows with Google meet and it did not work.

Then I booted up the computer again now, this time with the external Linux drive, and restarted it to boot now with Windows. Then I started Zoom in Windows and I noticed the green light of the integrated webcam got back on. Then I tried also with Google meet and it seems it works. I do not know what happened. I think  inserting the paperclip did the trick but I do not know why it did not work the first time I booted up Windows.

I will have to try the webcam in Linux later. Anyway I hope it works again also in Linux because it already works in Windows.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup. Fast startup can create intermittent havoc especially in dual boot machines.

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

The camera stopped working again both in Windows 10 and Linux. The only think that comes to my mind is that it might have got not recognized again when I disabled the camera within Google meet once. I also tried it out by unclicking the box for fast startup as @JackE suggested but that did not fix it either.

@JackE: System protection is on when I try to create a new System restore point.

I do not know what else to try.

Any idea is welcome!
    Thanks
  • JackE
    After it started working again on 9/15, did you disable fast startup?

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    After it started working again on 9/15, did you disable fast startup?
    No, I did not get to do that.
  • JackE
    >>>I did not know what happened. After inserting the paperclip into the reset pinhole on bottom for about 60 seconds 4 hours ago, I tried the webcam in Windows with Google meet and it did not work.
    Then I booted up the computer again now, this time with the external Linux drive, and restarted it to boot now with Windows. Then I started Zoom in Windows and I noticed the green light of the integrated webcam got back on. Then I tried also with Google meet and it seems it works. I do not know what happened. I think  inserting the paperclip did the trick but I do not know why it did not work the first time I booted up Windows.
    I will have to try the webcam in Linux later. Anyway I hope it works again also in Linux because it already works in Windows.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. >>>>

Re-trace these steps that you did earlier. But before you do, turn off Windows fast startup in Control Panel's power button app to eliminate that complication.  

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

I turned Windows fast startup off in Control Panel-s power button app.
    I unplug the power cable of the laptop.
    I reset the battery for 60 seconds with the paper clip.
    I waited for 15 minutes
    I rebooted the computer in Windows, Linux and Windows. But it did not get fixed yet. The HD User Facing device is still greyed out.

I also tried by pressing the power button for 30 seconds instead of using the paper clip but to no avail.

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Thanks

• JackE
    >>>I turned Windows fast startup off in Control Panel-s power button app.>>>

Make sure a Windows update hasn't turned it back on again.

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

The fast startup is disabled as you can see:

• JackE
    Is the unknown USB device the only yellow or red warning in Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

Besides the unknown USB device of the screenshot underneath, there is just one further device that also has problems as you can see as follows:

• JackE
    If you're 100% sure it previously worked under Linux, my best guess is the LCD video/cam cable combo (part no. 50.HGLN7.005) either should be reseated at all 3 ends or replaced from wear and tear in the hinge area from opening and closing the lid too much. Replacement cables are less than $20usd. But of course the main hassle is accessing its connectors.

Jack E/NJ

• thosecars82

Tinkerer

Yes, I am 100% sure it previously worked under Linux. I just tried it back again with a Live linux version and Cheese and it still does not work. Anyway, I will wait for the reply of Accer support service.
  • JackE
    Yes if it's still under warranty because it's most likely a hardware issue.

Jack E/NJ